_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Before Building
Ideas, concepts, and researching your next diorama.
Hosted by Darren Baker
An old shed
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 07:04 AM UTC
Hi,

This will be my first diorama. Yepee!!!
Before starting out, I wanted to check the overall idea, element placement, sizes and so on so I decided to start out with a simple 3D model.

What do you think? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Cristian

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 04:55 PM UTC
Hi Cristian,
Looks interesting. You've sparked my curiosity. What other elements will be included in the dio? -- more info. please.

--mike
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 05:10 PM UTC
Hey Mike,

Well, I thought of some spare grass on a dry, yellowish earth base. Some of this might even go on the corrugated sheets on top of the shed. Old drums, barrels and cannisters inside the shed. All of this combined with a few figures...

It was initially thought for my in-build KV-1 but meanwhile I'm not sure it will fit...
griffontech
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 237 posts
Armorama: 231 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 06:06 PM UTC
Great design. Maybe angle it on the base to create some visual interest. A workbench with rusting told would be nice. It's aways in the small details.
Just curious, what software program did you use for the design?
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 06:21 PM UTC
Great idea with the angle! I'll put that on the list.

The software I used is Blender 3D. A free 3D modeling software with lots of features.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 07:59 PM UTC

Hallo Christian,

when I saw the picture with the ladderlike elements on the sides and the corrugated sheets at the bottom, I immediately thought of a modern carport!!

That would preclude the KV!

More important is the thickness of the planking! You'll have to watch it here!! And don't forget that sheds like this were seldom masterpieces in craftmanship!

Tanks are usually not parked in a shed! Why would they?? The shed would rather accomodate the crew who need shelter from either blazing sun or pouring rain!!

Good luck with the project!!!

Do keep us in the loop will ya!

Cheers

Romain

Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 444 posts
Armorama: 428 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 08:48 PM UTC
Hi Cristian, nice start! Using 3d software for drawings is a great thing.

May I ask if you used any specific reference for this piece or did you construct it out of "memory"?
Looking at your mockup i feel that it is lacking some construction conventions normally used when building sheds and small cabins which (to my eye) makes it look a little bit unrealistic.

Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 09:20 PM UTC
Dear Romain,

Quoted Text

Hallo Christian,

when I saw the picture with the ladderlike elements on the sides and the corrugated sheets at the bottom, I immediately thought of a modern carport!!

That would preclude the KV!

More important is the thickness of the planking! You'll have to watch it here!! And don't forget that sheds like this were seldom masterpieces in craftmanship!

Tanks are usually not parked in a shed! Why would they?? The shed would rather accomodate the crew who need shelter from either blazing sun or pouring rain!!

Good luck with the project!!!

Do keep us in the loop will ya!

Cheers

Romain

Corrugated galvanised iron or steel (colloquially corrugated iron or pailing (in Caribbean English), occasionally abbreviated CGI) is a building material composed of sheets of hot-dip galvanised mild steel, cold-rolled to produce a linear corrugated pattern in them. The corrugations increase the bending strength of the sheet in the direction perpendicular to the corrugations, but not parallel to them. Normally each sheet is manufactured longer in its strong direction.
So far the technical background!

CGI is lightweight and easily transported. It was and still is widely used especially in rural and military buildings such as sheds and water tanks. Its unique properties were used in the development of countries like Australia from the 1840s, and it is still helping developing countries today. Despite its widespread use, it rusts very easily and can produce an undesirable aesthetic appearance.
So, historically, it could have been used in WW2 in the Russian hemisphere.

However, you are right: a tank will seldomly be parked in a shed, unless there is a need to hide it or protect it during maintenance, where weather could be a big hampering.
Otherwise: the steel is outside and the flesh in!!

Take care about yourself and enjoy the weekend.

So, Christian, tell us more about your idea!

Cheers,

P.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 - 01:19 AM UTC

Hi Paul,

I think you got me wrong regarding the corrugated boards. I didn't doubt their availability, it's the position (and the gap above) that reminded me of a modern carport/carpark construction.

And the boards are far too long for such a shed! Too heavy, too awkward to fix and maintain in place without any vertical poles!

I don't know, it just gave me the feeling of a modern construction.

Cheers

Romain

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 - 02:03 AM UTC
Me again,
The two corrugated sheets on top of the shed and the two boards leaning against it somehow suggest that the structure is undergoing new construction or maybe just some repair.

The two corrugated side panels don't seem to relate to one another as the one on the left seems to have been moved up on one corner and tacked in place -- unless the other one just fell strait down. This confuses my fragile little mind!

However, your design does have a kind of makeshift structure artistic appeal to it.

Can't wait to see more!
--mike
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 - 02:08 AM UTC
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the numerous replies! I was really not hoping for so much feedback!

As I mentioned this is going to be my first take at a diorama working more or less from imagination rather than real world counter pieces.

I also agree that tanks and sheds rarely go together, however, in this particular case I had a temporary building in mind, somewhere right behind battle lines where any convenience should be taken. An ad-hoc repair shop maybe... adding a camouflage net over it to hide it from reconnaissance flights... That kind of things.

Having a second look, I might have to go back to the drawing board and take some real world references before reworking this one.

I love this forum exactly because of people like you who are not "afraid" of sharing their point of view. Thanks so much!

Cristian
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 03:11 AM UTC
Cristian,
How's the shed coming along?

--mike
 _GOTOTOP