_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Trumpeter T-55 Conversion Steps?
Rogi01
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 12:15 AM UTC
So there are a multitude of posts that say how bad the Trumpeter T-55 is in dimensions and how editing has to be done to it because of the motorized engine space on the hull etc. Is there a "how to" thread on going about converting this kit (most how to threads that were linked on armorama have since been removed)?

I would like to take up the challenge but without having a Tamiya T-55 (or where to get it ) handy it is near impossible. to see the difference in dimensions

I've noticed that a lot of features in the kit look like they came off a T-54/59 maybe even some items fro the 69. I will try to do one of these variants.

I usually model aircraft and this would be the first tank model I would make. I like to convert/fix components to make a really interesting kit in the end.

My plan was to make a Yugoslavian T-54 but very little photos of this tank are out there (at least that I could find at the moment) and a North Korean or Vietnam tank could fit the bill too. Due to the Starfish wheels within the kit, more or less limited to a later version T-54, since those all seem to carry starfish wheels (I've noticed in books and publications that most that carry these wheels have been noted as modified, such as Afghan T-54s)

I've already acquired some replacement barrels (for T-54 production 1949, 1951, 1956) that I may use one of, mostly 100mm D-10 barrels.

My main questions are, is there a link to a conversion of a Trumpeter T-55 into a T-54? Is it possible to attain a decent kit without buying a Tamiya T-55 and observing the flaws? Which model of tank T-54/55/59/69 etc is the closest representation to Trumpeter's 1/35 T-55 (I own the Finnish T-55 kit with BTU-55 dozer blade )

For those of you that say (and hopefully addressing this issue ) "skip Trump's T-55 kit, only crazy people would edit it!" I would have to agree with you and say I am a bit crazy for attempting this

Thank you all for any help and I hope to post a thread soon with progress.

Igor

cdharwins
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 491 posts
Armorama: 462 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 01:48 AM UTC
I think this might be a good start:

http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/t55model1958reviewcs_1.htm

The Tamiya T-55 kit is awesome, but I built Trumpeter's T-54 a few years ago, and it was fine IMHO. Not as accurate or easy to build as Tamiya's T-55, but it looks the part when its finished. And better yet, you can usually get them pretty cheap, and there seems to be a lot of extra parts in the boxes. Apparently the original Trumpeter T-54/55 releases were made of a strange kind of plastic that wouldn't accept normal model cement, but mine was "normal" plastic. HTH

Chris
Rogi01
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 02:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think this might be a good start:

http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/t55model1958reviewcs_1.htm

The Tamiya T-55 kit is awesome, but I built Trumpeter's T-54 a few years ago, and it was fine IMHO. Not as accurate or easy to build as Tamiya's T-55, but it looks the part when its finished. And better yet, you can usually get them pretty cheap, and there seems to be a lot of extra parts in the boxes. Apparently the original Trumpeter T-54/55 releases were made of a strange kind of plastic that wouldn't accept normal model cement, but mine was "normal" plastic. HTH

Chris

Thank you for the quick reply

That site highlights a great deal of information in converting the model back to T-55 standards, although (and bare with me, as I know absolutely nil about tanks but am open to learning )

Are there any huge differences in proportions between the T-55/69 and T-54/59 models?

To me, it almost appears as if Trumpeter took the T-54 kit and just did some minor tweaks and re-boxed it as the T-55. Is this an accurate assessment, or is the T-55 kit totally different?

Once I start on the kit, I'll take some photos and see if the cutting sections are ok to proceed with once I mark them off in paint

So far there is no step by step build of the T-55 conversion to a proper standard?
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 05:02 AM UTC
Hi Igor;

Just about the only way too model A early T-54 is too purchase the excellent Legend conversion for the Tamiya T-55 I have built just about all of the Trumpeter T-54,55 series and the only Good thing about them was the extra details that they gave you so you could build different versions and yes the Plastic was Crap ! The Best kit was the Finnish Version with the Dozer Blade.

CHEERS; MIKE.
cdharwins
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 05:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That site highlights a great deal of information in converting the model back to T-55 standards, although (and bare with me, as I know absolutely nil about tanks but am open to learning

There is TONS and TONS of info online about T55/54/59/69s.

Quoted Text

Are there any huge differences in proportions between the T-55/69 and T-54/59 models?

The Type 59 and 69 are Chinese copies of T54/55 series. In simple terms, the dimensions are pretty much the same, but there are some details on the Chinese versions that make them distinctive.

Quoted Text

To me, it almost appears as if Trumpeter took the T-54 kit and just did some minor tweaks and re-boxed it as the T-55. Is this an accurate assessment, or is the T-55 kit totally different?

It's all the same base kit, with the details to make the specific versions.

Quoted Text

So far there is no step by step build of the T-55 conversion to a proper standard?

I don't know. But if you look in the "Russo-Soviet Forum" here on Armorama, there are 2 threads "How to model a T55" and "How to model a T54". Also, try the search box at the top of the Armorama page. This site is LOADED with information, and great people who love to share their knowledge.

Chris

Chris
cdharwins
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 06:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Igor;

Just about the only way too model A early T-54 is too purchase the excellent Legend conversion for the Tamiya T-55 I have built just about all of the Trumpeter T-54,55 series and the only Good thing about them was the extra details that they gave you so you could build different versions and yes the Plastic was Crap ! The Best kit was the Finnish Version with the Dozer Blade.

CHEERS; MIKE.

I totally agree with Mike. Tamiya/Legends is the way to go.
Rogi01
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 06:52 AM UTC
Thank you both for the info it is greatly appreciated

Special thanks for pointing out the search box (was always checking in the forum pages for it, but never found one, didn't even pay attention to the Kit Maker Network "bar" at the top of the page ), been trying to find it for ages lol and doing searches in google for
Armorama topics didn't leave too well as you can see from this post

I'll keep everyone updated and post the in progress pictures here in this thread (as to not start another one )
 _GOTOTOP