_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Volkssturm reference images?
d3stro
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 07:01 AM UTC
I've recently picked up a diorama by MiniArt (German City Building) that comes with i want to say the updated Volkssturm figures by Dragon. i can't find any reference images anywhere of camo/gear colors apart form the armband and weapons. does anyone know where i could look for this or is it just the German field grey for everything?

sorry if this has already been asked, but i can't really find anything apart form the standard black and white images.
nng-nng
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 376 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 08:54 AM UTC
The Dragon set is depicting a pretty well (rather too well) equipped group of Volkssturm men, Colors of gear would be the same as the Wehrmacht used.
The other "uniforms" were either civil clothing, police or other official uniforms...
guess youŽll find some reference here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Volkssturm?uselang=de

So my opinion this is the more interresting Volkssturm set, as you could use the Dragon set for regular Wehrmacht soldiers in the last stage of the war aswell... http://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=136789
DKdent
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
KitMaker: 182 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 08:54 AM UTC
Hello James,

I hve read some nice discussions about this specific kit. On the internet. Of course I can`t find it anymore. As always. But what I remember: in general the guys in this box are wearing normal Wehrmacht-issued uniforms which can be painted with the usual colours. So Feldgrau should be okay. The Volkssturm used a lot of different uniforms: all kind of Wehrmacht stuff, dyed uniforms of other NS-organizations, mostly civilian stuff. Supply problems were extreme, so you should not expect every Volkssturm-member to wear "original" uniforms.

Thats exactly the point: the question is if you want to take 4 guys in Wehrmacht uniforms, give them some armbands and name them "Volkssturm"? Zvezda has also a very inexpensive kit (at least here) which gives you 4 figures in civilian or mixed clothes. Perhaps you might have a look at them to get some variation in the uniforms.

Anyway,

good luck and best regards

Dennis
Giovanni1508
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 600 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 09:25 AM UTC
Hi James,

Yes, very nice subject for your diorama. Basically the matter is that there is no official uniform for Volkssturm. Just the armbands, few types you probably already know.

They used a lot of different uniforms, from civilian dress to HJ or police or even WH uniforms.

So, it means that you can do anything you like !
Hope to see your diorama very soon !
d3stro
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 11:13 AM UTC
thanks for all of the responses on this! this is the set that came with the diorama
http://www.amazon.com/DML-Dragon-German-Volkssturm-Berlin/dp/B000EMHAVQ
and i'm thinking of looking into the Wehrmacht side of things for colors and reference images as i know there are a ton of them on the web.

Giovanni1508
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 10:41 PM UTC
Dear James,

Yes, it is the well famous Dragon kit of Volkssturm, with soldiers wearing 100% Wehrmacht uniforms (late war type). Just one with camo jacket. So, the only particular item of VS is the armband.

For sure you can apply the Wehrmacht paint scheme valid for late war period.

DKdent
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
KitMaker: 182 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 - 12:54 AM UTC
Hello,

just some nitpicking, but you are not 100% right.

Quoted Text

So, the only particular item of VS is the armband.

The second guy from the right with the young face is actually holding a Volkssturmgewehr 45 or VG 1-5 or MP507, a low-tech, low quality rifle produced from early 1945 on. This might be only a little addition, but I don`t know if this weapon is available in other sets, so it might be interesting if you are looking for this weapon.

Best regards

Dennis

Edit: Silly me. The rifle is also included in the Zvezda kit. So if you want to have this rifle, you can actually choose.
Giovanni1508
Visit this Community
Napoli, Italy
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 01:28 AM UTC

Hi Dennis,

You're right: I focused the attention on the uniforms.

But definitely the young man of the Dragon kit has a Gustloff Volkssturmgewehr, typical weapon of VS.
Same for the old guy, the fourth on the box art of the Zvezda kit.

_GOTOTOP