_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Sin filters application question
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 339 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 - 10:11 AM UTC
I'm wondering if anyone can advise on how to get the best results with Sin brand enamel-based filters. Is it best to apply these straight over the acrylic base colors (in this case Model Master Acryl) or should I first coat with a satin clear finish? I will apply the filter prior to adding any decals.

I know from experience that the AK brand of enamel washes and weathering products work best over a satin finish (rather than a gloss or matte finish) so that they can be moved around on the surface while wet but still have a bit of grip to stay where you put them. It would seem that a filter should cover more uniformly than a wash so I'm wondering if they would work best straight over the paint?

I'd appreciate input from anyone with experience using Sin filters, particularly if you've tried it with Model Master Acryl paints.

Thanks in advance.
Quasimofo
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 - 12:43 PM UTC
Hi Don-

Personally, I've had the best results putting those filters right over the matte base acrylic paint, with no clear coat. I recall seeing a post on the AK-Interactive forums (before they went POOF) stating that filters such as AK, MIG or SIN should be put over a matte coat, while pin washes work best on a satin finish. I followed that advice and haven't been sorry. I think the matte finish of the paints gives better control for such a thinned coat of color. As with anything in this hobby, your milage may vary.

I've had better results using the MIG/Sin filters by applying them in very light, thin coats then building them up until I get the result I'm looking for. If they go on too heavy, they tend to dry with tide marks. At least, mine have in those cases. Out them on light and thin, and you should be good.
All that being said, I've only used the filters over Tamiya paints, so I can't say anything about MM Acryl.

Hope this helps!
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 339 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 - 05:28 PM UTC
Thanks Bill. I suspected they might work best straight onto the paint but haven't had a chance to test it and don't want to take a chance on my current project without some feedback from the pros here on the forum.
 _GOTOTOP