_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Mk.IV Male Built Pics
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,042 posts
Armorama: 871 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 11:24 AM UTC
Was given the task of my LHS to build Tamiya's new 1/35 WWI Mk.IV Male tank to be used to promote its impending release. The kit I have is a pre-production example and comes without the motorised parts, decals and chain (Supplied my own from spares box). I was tasked with a completely OOTB build for obvious reasons but had to make a few slight alterations to cater for the motorised parts not included. Whether or now Tamiya will release a static display model is yet to be seen, but most parts are included on the sprues to cater for this option Took just over two days to complete the build.

Overall, I have to say that this is a very nice kit to build - typical Tamiya. Chances are that the grey styrene used here may not be used for the main production, but can't see much else changing. Everything fits together perfectly and the tracks are an absolute pleasure to assemble - less than 15 minutes for both sides. There are a few knock out pin marks to contend with on smaller parts but nothing beyond the abilities of the average modeller. I'm putting together a build blog which will follow when complete. Next step is paint

Gary
Beastmaster
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 592 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 05:48 PM UTC
Great! Hopefully any doubts people have about it will be gone as it's a nice looking kit.
ironhull
Visit this Community
Venezia, Italy
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 07:21 PM UTC
This pre-production model lacks of six bolts on first reduction gear cover just behind sponson.
I saw another model Tamiya show at Shizuoka has them so I think the regular production run will be OK.
Look at "Hyacinth" on this picture for them

http://www.taghobby.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/TH149.jpg

What about unditching beam rail thickness? Are they good or need replacement?
Is there anything of the sistem to secure chains to tracks?

Bye
Pierantonio
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 - 09:22 PM UTC
Pierantonio

The rails are adequate but need a little work get to them looking okay due to the joins required as the roof is designed to be removable.
No chain provided with this example though the production kit will have them but no means supplied of attaching to the tracks.

Gary
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 - 12:49 AM UTC
If they fix the 6 bolts, that's great, if not, they are no biggie to add.

The big question, Gary is "are the shapes accurate?" If they are, everythig else is easy.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 - 02:24 PM UTC
WOW!!! What a difference from Emhar. Looks like it will be a good kit. I am looking forward to it's release.
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 - 03:09 PM UTC
I don't profess to be a WWI tank expert nor am I a rivet counter (Though I have added the missing 6 bolts as Tamiya have corrcted this pre mainstream release), but it certainly looks like a Mk.IV in every detail. Yes, there are areas which can be improved upon, but show me a kit which doesn't have any.
I guess the controvesy surrounding whether it should be motorised or not will continue. My view is that you can still build a very nice static display model and leave the motorised parts in the box. The question then is why would you pay a premium price for a kit where you are not utilising the 'expensive' parts? This is probably where Takom (assuming their kits will be equally as good and cheaper) will win more business. Hopefully Mr T will see sense and release a static model. A majority of the parts are certainly on the sprues so one can only hope.... Bottom line though is don't write this off as a model in its own right

Gary
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 - 03:14 PM UTC
That looks like a very nice kit.
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 05:52 AM UTC
Was the kit fit and finish up to the usual Tamiya standards?
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 07:24 AM UTC
Greg.

In general - yes. What I mean by that is that you need to remember that this is a motorised kit so certain panels etc need to be removable to allow access to the motor, batteries and drive gear. As a result there are some slight gaps here and there. However, if you are building a static model, as I have, then it isn't too much work to ensure there are no gaps.

Gary
hutch2336
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 73 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2014 - 11:33 PM UTC
Curiosity satisfied

Looking forward to the paint work.

Nice done Gary

Regards

Steve H
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - 02:00 AM UTC
Okay, I thought I knew it all but please point out the 6 bolts on the cover they say is missing?

I am so excited about this one and I'm sure if we buy the Tamiya kit one has to buy the 'other' kits as well.

I can see a whole new section created in the modeling room... for WWI vehicles.

Jeff
ironhull
Visit this Community
Venezia, Italy
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 12:17 AM UTC
Look at this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HajpklrDsA

It seems the kit contains also the WWI British Infantry figure set.
Ciao
Pierantonio
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 01:05 AM UTC
I have no interest in WW I subjects.. but for some reason I feel tempted to get one of these

Hisham
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 01:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have no interest in WW I subjects.. but for some reason I feel tempted to get one of these

Hisham

Me too , along with some WW 1 infantry. One of these companies also make Artillery pieces in 1/35 with gun crews. Both Allied & Axis artillery guns.
 _GOTOTOP