_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Painting filters...
IDHUNTER
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 06:41 PM UTC
Does anyone have a good site that describes the process of painting filters? I read something on Missing Links that described the general process but I am uncertain of what colors to use in specific situations. Any help would be appreciated!
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 07:14 PM UTC
Hey IDHunter!

To apply a filter you want your paint to be very dilluted, almost like a wash. It kind of depends on how you want to use your filter what color you want it to be. To smooth the transitions from shadows to highlights you want to use the base color you used. For other effects such as toning down a part, then use a color thats appropriate, either lighter or darker.

Hope this helps
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 07:59 PM UTC
Idhunter,
what I usually do for filters is to thin them to 98-99%. More info can be seen at http://www.missing-lynx.com/rareworld.
Ciao
(:-) (:-)
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 09:24 PM UTC
Filters are very thin... as Sccocia said almost 99% thinner in them. We had couple of topics here on filters and they may help: Filters

Anyway, as I've read in MIGs articles and books, the color of filter can be completely different from the base color... it all depends what tone you want to add to your original color. It can be reddish filter on the desert vehicle or very dark color on OD vehicle... it is actually up to you. I've made couple of filters and in my experience they are difficult to control, so be sure to practice on scrap plastic first...

Mario M.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 10:59 PM UTC
Or try the books By Mig and the one I did the review on
Advanced painting and weathering Techniques.
Tells all about the filter stuff! (++) (++)
Fritz
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 495 posts
Armorama: 140 posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2003 - 01:12 AM UTC
Doing a filter is actually simple. Mix in a wash-like solution (what colors they are the above posts just mentioned it :-) :-) ). Apply then in a FLAT finish. For best results, use TAMIYA acrylics since when airbrushed, they dry quite rough, almost like a high-grit sandpaper. Apply it over the whole model like a wash & wait to dry. Done!

Since the finish is flat, the "filter" would not go to the recesses & other detail (although they would do but VERY lightly) instead, it will dry on the surfaces of the model

IDHUNTER
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 03:50 PM UTC
Thanks a lot everyone! This helps a lot!
 _GOTOTOP