_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Abrams Quetsions
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 01:33 PM UTC
I have some images of an Abrams tank on the firing ranges in Germany. Does anyone know what the wording 'THIS SIDE OFF' refers to on the CIPs? Also, is their any significance in the side-mounted CIPs (the louvre-shaped ones) being upside down?

Slightly different subject ... The three vents on the rear hull. Are the outer ones air intakes, or are all three exhaust vents? ... just wondered why only the middle one is heavily discoloured.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 01:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have some images of an Abrams tank on the firing ranges in Germany. Does anyone know what the wording 'THIS SIDE OFF' refers to on the CIPs? Also, is their any significance in the side-mounted CIPs (the louvre-shaped ones) being upside down?

The CIPS have "no power" thermal tape on one side of the panels that provide the identification by reflecting thermal energy that is seen through thermal sights. The panel must be at an angle for the tape to reflect properly. The flat panel on the front of the turret is held at the correct angle by the sloped armor on the face of the turret. The side and rear panels are "louvered" as they mount on vertical surfaces and the louvers provide the correct angle for the CIP to work. Make sense??

Quoted Text

Slightly different subject ... The three vents on the rear hull. Are the outer ones air intakes, or are all three exhaust vents? ... just wondered why only the middle one is heavily discoloured.

The center grill is the the tank's turbine engine exhaust, while the outer ones to the left and right of the turbine exhaust are the exhaust for the fans that blow air through the engine and transmission oil coolers.

HTH

John
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 01:48 PM UTC
I believe that the CIP panels have thermal tape only on one side. If they are to be used for IFOF then the thermal side should show and when viewed through a thermal sight will show a contrasting cold spot compared to the rest of the tank.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 01:53 PM UTC
When the "This Side Off" is shown, the panel is "off" and will not show as a hot spot in thermals. By turning it around you turn the panel "on" with the thermal tape out so it shows up as a hot spot. The panel can be either way with the louvers up or down, it doesn't matter.

Here is info on CIPs.

The two outer rear grates are cold air outlets from the trans coolers. The center one is a hot exhaust outlet.

Edit: Looks like great minds think alike, 3 at basically the same time.

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 02:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

When the "This Side Off" is shown, the panel is "off" and will not show as a hot spot in thermals. By turning it around you turn the panel "on" with the thermal tape out so it shows up as a hot spot. The panel can be either way with the louvers up or down, it doesn't matter.

Here is info on CIPs.

The two outer rear grates are cold air outlets from the trans coolers. The center one is a hot exhaust outlet.

Edit: Looks like great minds think alike, 3 at basically the same time.

Huh. I always thought it was the other way around, that they showed up as a cold spot. Good thing I don't normally shoot at tanks for a living...
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 06:26 AM UTC
Rob,
Actually the CIP will show up as reverse of what polarity is selected on the sight - It will show up as black when in "White Hot" or white when in "Black Hot." It’s not infallible but seems to work… In your line of work, it is probably better that you do not shoot at tanks. Get someone else to do so…

JC
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 07:37 AM UTC
Hi John,
Our AN/PAS-13s worked the same way - they could be switched between white hot and black hot, but all that did was reverse the image in the lens according to user preference. I joke about the "not shooting at tanks" thing. In fact as part of PMT earlier this year I completed a course in thermal tank recognition.
Either way though, the panel creates a cold spot, whether viewed as black or white, not a hot one.
BruceJ8365
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 441 posts
Armorama: 441 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 10:07 AM UTC
I mentioned earlier that they showed as a contrasting cold spot, but didn't want to say anything when I saw a following post that referred to it as a hot spot. I've been married a long time and used to being wrong all the time so I just assumed I must have been wrong... the safest assumption when conflicting recollections around the wife. Nice to know I was actually right for a change!
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 10:15 AM UTC
John, I forgot to ask if you're coming to Eaglequest this year.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 11:23 AM UTC
Rob,
sorry to tell you this but Eaglequest was last weekend. I did a "drive by" on Saturday as part of a Ikea run to Frisco. I had some work items that I had to complete that precluded me from attending on Friday.

Thermal ID classes... Well, that just sounds like fun...

Quoted Text

I mentioned earlier that they showed as a contrasting cold spot, but didn't want to say anything when I saw a following post that referred to it as a hot spot. I've been married a long time and used to being wrong all the time so I just assumed I must have been wrong... the safest assumption when conflicting recollections around the wife. Nice to know I was actually right for a change!

Bruce,
If you omit the name, it would appear that I married the same woman... To be right only once. sigh...

John
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 12:31 PM UTC
Ah well. I did not plan to attend the show per se, but thought a few of us could get together for adult beverages somewhere. Someone at the Squadron Open House had asked if I was going and I couldv'e sworn he said July.
As it was, my son was home on leave from a five week stint at NTC, so the time was well spent.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 01:42 PM UTC
probably better expenditure of time, although linking up would have been good. Perhaps later this year as I have heard of a IPMS show in Fort Worth that I may have to come down for.

Paul,
Apologies for drifting off topic slightly... If you have any more M1 questions, feel free to ask.

John
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2014 - 02:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Apologies for drifting off topic slightly... If you have any more M1 questions, feel free to ask.

Quite right, John. Here's a photo I took very recently, mainly in response to question asked a few weeks ago about the brown panels. I'm quite certain they used to be NATO brown, but now they appear lighter, and all the vehicles I saw had them in the same color. A few years ago they could be seen in brown, sand and green. This brown is lighter than it appears in the photo, as it was taken right when the sun was it its zenith. The slanted portions are actually in the shade. The color is somewhere between the NATO brown and the sand, perhaps intentionally so, in order that it can be used with either paint scheme.

pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2014 - 08:56 PM UTC
Thanks for the useful information!
Two further questions on the Abrams ...
Photographs show a cable leading from the rear right-hand light to the vehicle's hull plate, but this appears to be missing on the left-hand side. Is there any particular reason for this? Also, regarding the Commander's machine gun, what is the function of the three rods that run along the length of the barrel on certain .50 cals?
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2014 - 09:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Also, regarding the Commander's machine gun, what is the function of the three rods that run along the length of the barrel on certain .50 cals?

It's the M19 Blank Firing Adapter (or Attachment) that was developed to permit the .50 Cal machine gun to fire the M1A1 blank cartridge in the automatic fire mode :

H.P.
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2014 - 02:04 AM UTC
Of course ... I hadn't thought of that.
Hence they only appear on vehicles involved in exercises.
I'm still not sure why the rear left-hand light doesn't have a cable connection to the hull plate, similar to the one on the right-hand side.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 03:13 AM UTC
Paul,
As mentioned above, the battery box lies directly in front of the right taillight and the wiring harness for the tailight runs around the battery box, inside of the hull.

On the left side, there is enough room to run the harness through the tank's hull directly to the left tailight.

HTH

John
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 09:21 AM UTC
Many thanks for that information!
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 - 06:45 AM UTC
Having noticed that the track guide horns on the Abrams pass across the face of the return rollers, I am wondering why the rollers themselves are spaced differently from the side of the hull ... evidently, the ones at the front are further away than those towards the rear.
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2014 - 07:31 AM UTC
While I don't know anything about the return roller spacing on the Abrams, it's likely based on the geometry of the unsupported tracks and how the top half tends to bend while moving.

And after looking at my Tamiya TUSK II I'd have to guess it's partly deigned to be convenient for the crew to re-track the vehicle. Imagine pushing and pulling muddy tracks trying to get the guide horns centered with doubled-up return rollers.
 _GOTOTOP