_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
To the Last Rivet
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 03:59 AM UTC
I've thought up another campaign. I am thinking of starting it January of next year and running till December of the same year. The goal is to build an accurate model, down to the last rivet. Any scale, though I recommend 48th or 35th. Must be a military ground based vehicle. This does not include helicopters. I'm currently ironing out the details of overhauling Tamiya's Challenger I mk.3. Let me know what you think.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 09:06 AM UTC
Matt;

In the abstract, this may sound interesting (notice that I hum and haw and hedge and back and fill and obfuscate all in one short reply line! )

I laud anyone who strives for some historical accuracy - albeit it's a matter of degree to myself. I think many of us military modelers go and change some "bad details" and add some "missing bits" - probably most do, but most do so "scatter-shot" and according to whatever I think more visible and more doable by me right now. How accurate can I get within what knowledge I have on the subject and what my available resources are? How much time and effort do I want to devote to THIS build?

Sadly, I see several major hurdles to a "rivet-counter" campaign... Aside from maybe few being really confident in their ability to recognize, let alone hit on, the usual slough of inaccuracies in even great kits... key will be "what is the standard of "accuracy" actually being aimed for?" One person's "very accurate and careful build" will always fall a-foul of the next "rivet counter"!

And who will be the reasonably impartial judge to decide among the builds? Not saying that one could not conceivably identify the build that looks best by some subjective artistic scale, but how does the judge know the details to be acct'd-for in "rivet-counting" for all potential subjects?

How would the builder "back up" his mods "for accuracy"? I presume that to the last rivet would entail searching and revising details based on refs - would the builder need to post citations or imagery for every change being done?

And... HOW long need this actually run? I mean, heck, even for my usual vague and sorta-accurate (if you squint and have tears in the eyes ) build, I have to allow several months! I have more than one shelf-queen which has loitered YEARS in the quest of meeting some detail accuracy challenge that I am not yet happy with!

Still... I'm watching to see!

Maybe instead you might consider a campaign focused on recreating an actual historical individual vehicle, as versus on technical rivet-counting? This might fly a bit higher and better, as many modelers (me, 4 ex) build things "generically" and not really aimed at a single actual known example vehicle... could be a neat challenge for some of us "generic" builders!

Bob
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 09:22 AM UTC
What he said. ^^

Mike
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 09:40 PM UTC
Photographic proof would be required. One year would seem suitable, if you dedicate yourself to the campaign. There would be no judge, as photographic proof would be required.
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2014 - 03:46 AM UTC
I agree with a lot of Bob's concerns. I'd also add that we have the Whole Hog Campaign set to start in October. And while not identical, there is some common-ground there. Plus, the Whole Hog Campaign took a while to get enough people for approval.

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2014 - 05:14 AM UTC
I agree with Mike, how do you say what's the last rivet? Internal/External, engines/no engines - figures/no figures, stowage/no stowage and so it goes on. Is it tanks/trucks/artillery or trains, boats planes, what counts?

I love detail but that would be a rivet too far for me.

Cheers

Al

arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2014 - 06:35 AM UTC
Im in, provided it last for 5 years.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2014 - 09:35 AM UTC
I'll ditto Arpad S.... or maybe go for "7", as a nice, maybe doable (for me), period!

With the caveat that there are no changes in the applicable references I start out with during the course of the build! I HATE all this ongoing revisionism and "updating" of the "facts" to reflect new perceptions and "evidence", etc.!

Bob
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2014 - 10:07 AM UTC
Thanks guys. That is what I was looking for. I won't push this one.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2014 - 10:46 AM UTC
And what's wrong with allowing helicopters?

One of these days... I'll build one for a Campaign here.

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP