_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Double Action Airbrush - "sluggish"
Jedge3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 05:19 AM UTC
Hello,
I have a Harder and Steen DA AB, and when I pull back it is okay but when I release the trigger it seems a little sluggish moving back forward. Anyone have this issue? Or is it pretty common? I was using a Grex so hard to compare due to different trigger set up.

Jeff
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 05:23 AM UTC
Have you removed the needle and wiped it down with a piece of tissue wetted down with solvent ( not sure if that's a proper word ) . I believe iwata make a lube for the needle . I spray mostly enamels and Tamiya acrylics so I just use Vaseline on the needle once in a while .
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 10:31 PM UTC
I would recommend what Edmund said but I would also check the needle barrel- when the needle is dirty it can drag the dirt into areas behind the paint cup and foul them up- when it dries there it can produce that sluggish movement. I just break the brush down as far as it will go and run cleaner through it and brush out all the ares I can reach then use the lube as Edmund says and it should be good to go.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 10:38 PM UTC
The best way to clean an airbrush is with an ultrasonic cleaner. You can pick one up on EBay for $5 shipped. I restores your brush to like new cleanliness. If cleaning does not work, try lubricating the spring and needle with needle juice.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - 10:39 PM UTC
clean your needle & air cap often. Thin your paint more.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 04:17 AM UTC
Never say needle juice three times .
pxpxpx
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 05:57 AM UTC
Every now and then paint and random debris will find it's way down to the air valve (#123253). Unscrew it and see if the plunger will move freely when you depress it. Some lube might be needed if your o-ring (#123220) is worn. It can also be some tiny pieces of crud in the hole for the plunger that is in the way so make sure you clean that too.

If it happens repeatedly check (I usually replace) your needle seal (#123450).

# is referencing parts-# in this diagram http://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/EvolutionSpares.pdf if you'r airbrush isn't an Evo there are more parts diagrams here: http://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Parts-Diagrams.html
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 08:34 AM UTC
I found a set of cleaning brushes that works great for an airbrush on eBay . They maybe from China but for a couple of bucks and free shipping it was worth the cost , and they will get into every passage way of the airbrush except the tip .
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 1,389 posts
Armorama: 1,388 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 08:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The best way to clean an airbrush is with an ultrasonic cleaner. You can pick one up on EBay for $5 shipped. I restores your brush to like new cleanliness. If cleaning does not work, try lubricating the spring and needle with needle juice.

AMEN!
Ultrasound and needle juice

needle juice, needle juice, needle juice
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 11:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

AMEN!

Oh no the world will come to an end !!!! Worst yet models prices will go up 25% .
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 11:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

AMEN!

Oh no the world will come to an end !!!!! Worst yet model prices will go up 25% . Heaven help up now .
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Armorama: 1,431 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 01:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello,
I have a Harder and Steen DA AB, and when I pull back it is okay but when I release the trigger it seems a little sluggish moving back forward. Anyone have this issue? Or is it pretty common? I was using a Grex so hard to compare due to different trigger set up.

Jeff

It could be the needle seal/bearing. I had the same issue and it was that. As you release the trigger it seems the seal grabs the needle a bit. I took care of it by unscrewing it and cleaning it. Once it was all cleaned, I left it to dry a bit and then reinstalled it. After you screw it back in, pull the trigger back and forth a few times and it should go back to snapping forward without issues.

Rob
Jedge3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 - 05:53 AM UTC
Thank you for the replies. I will take a look at the needle seal. I have had issues with some paint getting back there.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 - 06:32 AM UTC
I have to agree with a few members here that your needle needs to be lubed as it is sticking. I say that as I had the same issue with a Neo airbrush and after lubing the needle the situation was resolved.
 _GOTOTOP