_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M2 Bradley colour
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,042 posts
Armorama: 871 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 09:31 PM UTC
Is it reasonable to paint the Meng M2A3 in a base green colour with sand ERA blocks? I"m sure I've seen a photo of one but not sure if it was an A3?

GRy
Ellevenbravo
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 261 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 - 01:31 AM UTC
Thought it would have been the 3 color NATO-flauge, not just overall green. I know some Brads had replacement components painted green but haven't seen any pics of an entire vehicle in solid green.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 - 03:56 AM UTC
All modern (since the late '80s) Bradleys are either 3-tone NATO camo or sand.

The ERA blocks usually comes in sand, although I have seen individual replacement blocks in green.

When a replacement part is ordered, there are two part numbers for either a forest green or sand painted part. You will get whichever color is available though. The depot will not wait for the color you ordered, but send what they have. That is why you see sand vehicles with green parts on them.
raffrecon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 258 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2014 - 07:22 PM UTC
I spent 18 months (March 2003 - September 2004) in Baghdad on an M3A2 CFV with 1-1 Cav, 1 Armor Div. Our Brads were NATO three colored and in April 2004 we received ERS armor in sand color. Looked pretty cool.
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2014 - 09:24 PM UTC
Thanks for the clarification chaps.

Dan - that is the scheme I'm aiming for now. Assuming it would be the ERA blacks, commanders protective armoured glass surround and air con units which would be just in sand colour with everything else in MERDC? What about the side panels onto which the ERA blocks fit - 3 tone as per base camo or are these a separate fitment when ERA is added?

Cheers

Gary
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2014 - 11:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the clarification chaps.

Dan - that is the scheme I'm aiming for now. Assuming it would be the ERA blacks, commanders protective armoured glass surround and air con units which would be just in sand colour with everything else in MERDC? What about the side panels onto which the ERA blocks fit - 3 tone as per base camo or are these a separate fitment when ERA is added?

Cheers

Gary

Merdc is not the NATO or sand color ,merdc was a camo pattern that was developed in the mid 1970's the only bradly you would see in that is the M2 and M2A1 but most M2 and M2A1 were in overall dark green especially the ones in europe, reactive armor was used only on the M2A2 and M2A3 and not until 2003 or later, I believe, the NATO 3 color was developed in the late 1980's as a replacement for the merdc and became a NATO wide standard paint scheme
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2014 - 06:16 AM UTC
Nick

Didn't know that - was going by the Lifecolor paint set I have which lists NATO MERDC (Obviously titled wrong!) colours in its set. Plan is to use FS 37030, FS30051 and FS34094 (Black, Brown and Green) as per stock NATO colours and then paint the other parts in whatever Sand colour is best.

Gary
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2014 - 10:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nick

Didn't know that - was going by the Lifecolor paint set I have which lists NATO MERDC (Obviously titled wrong!) colours in its set. Plan is to use FS 37030, FS30051 and FS34094 (Black, Brown and Green) as per stock NATO colours and then paint the other parts in whatever Sand colour is best.

Gary

i belive the nato and the sand schemes fall under a system called carc
raffrecon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2014 - 07:43 AM UTC
Gary - Nick is absolutely correct. The colors you listed will work as well as Tamiya's NATO black, brown, and green. I'm not sure about Brads of lately but before 2005 you wouldn't find one with A/C units or the commander's glass. It might take me a few days but I will try to send you some pics of my Brad which was NATO three tone camo with sand colored ERA blocks.

As the side panels go - I'm not quite sure what you mean. Basically, the only thing that would be sand color are the blocks themselves and the metal brackets that attach them to the armor. The brackets create a few inches of stand-off between the blocks and armor. Even replacement parts that came to us sand color were quickly spray painted with the appropriate green, black, or brown. (The Hadjis told us that they were more afraid of the "green tanks" then the tan ones!)

Hope this clears some things up.
Dan
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2014 - 08:33 AM UTC
Thanks Dan - very helpful.

I have the Meng which has the add ons I mentioned - beginning to wonder if a 3 tone NATO scheme with sand armour etc with aircon units would actually be the right way to go????

Gary
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2014 - 01:44 PM UTC
For an M2A3 with the gunners shields and A/C units, overall sand would be more appropriate. Most of these Brads were rebuilt/upgraded in Iraq or Kuwait and were repainted sand when the new pieces were added.
raffrecon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 - 12:32 PM UTC
Yeah, it's a great kit but Meng got the dates a little wrong. A Brad with A/C units and Commander's glass wouldn't be found before 2006 / 2007.
2CAVTrooper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 - 02:48 PM UTC
Nick,

CARC stands for Chemical Agent Resistant Coating, not the camo pattern such as MERDC, NATO, etc.
2CAVTrooper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 - 02:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gary - Nick is absolutely correct. The colors you listed will work as well as Tamiya's NATO black, brown, and green. I'm not sure about Brads of lately but before 2005 you wouldn't find one with A/C units or the commander's glass. It might take me a few days but I will try to send you some pics of my Brad which was NATO three tone camo with sand colored ERA blocks.

As the side panels go - I'm not quite sure what you mean. Basically, the only thing that would be sand color are the blocks themselves and the metal brackets that attach them to the armor. The brackets create a few inches of stand-off between the blocks and armor. Even replacement parts that came to us sand color were quickly spray painted with the appropriate green, black, or brown. (The Hadjis told us that they were more afraid of the "green tanks" then the tan ones!)

Hope this clears some things up.
Dan

The Hadjis said the same thing about 2ACR with their "green trucks".
raffrecon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2014 - 04:45 PM UTC
Jeff,
What squadron where you in? I was in Ghost Troop, 2nd Sdrn 2000-2002.

Toujours Pret.
 _GOTOTOP