_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M577/M1068 Ambulance Interior
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2014 - 02:09 AM UTC
Hi Gang,
jus saw pics from EAS, M1068 or M577 as an ambulance version. Anyone here knows what the interior configuration would look like? Maybe just the holders for the litters as in M113 A3 Ambulance?

TIA
Hans-Hermann
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2014 - 02:55 AM UTC
Hi

IIRC, the litter kit for the M577 is similar to the M113 one, the poles are longer and 6 litters can be fitted instead of 4. On a side note, there's a M577 variant called M-577 Emergency Medical Treatment Vehicle that doesn't seem to carry litters :

http://www.primeportal.net/apc/gert/m577a2_medical/

H.P.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2014 - 10:01 AM UTC
Hans-Hermann,
My experiences were that the M577's were not set up as ambulances but only as aid stations, per Frenchy's post. A Tank or Mech Infantry battalion had 8 M113 series ambulances and two M577's and a HWMMV, possibly with a 2 litter rack, in their Medical platoons.

The two M577s would be set up in separate safe areas, preferably with cover and concealment, that would allow the ambulances to shuttle wounded back to the aid stations for emergency medical care. One M577 would be set up as the Forward Aid Station, was staffed with the Physician's Assistant that would be a bit closer to the front lines or on a alternate avenue of approach and do the triage of the wounded, while the other one, would serve as the Main Aid Station(MAS) would have the Surgeon, who could do more medical work/lifesaving.

Normally the medical platoon vehicles (M577s & M113s) had numerous medical chests, stretchers, and other medical gear piled on them.

A bit more than you asked but it is key to understand the functions that the 577's are used for on th ebattlefield.

John
RagingTiger
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2014 - 08:59 PM UTC
I was a medic for 20 years, mainly in Infantry, Armor, and Cav. I have never seen nor heard of a "litter kit" for the M577. If we had to bug-out, we usually had at least one M113 with or near us, or we used other vehicles to move patients. We just had way too much equipment on board.

The M577's were main and jump (forward) aid stations. The only time the vehicle was used with litters was during battlefield surgeries, and then the litter patient was placed on stands in the main compartment.

I have been toying with the idea of building a diorama with the extension up to give an idea of what it was like to run cold weather ops.

For the most part, at least with my jump aid stations, we would choose a spot with as much cover as possible, but with easy ingress/egress for patient drop-off, set-up 2-3 of our most necessary med chests and a few sets of litter stands, and be ready to accept patients within 2 minutes, ready to bug-out in less. Great memories!
 _GOTOTOP