_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Q for Glenn Bartolotti Technique
collin
Visit this Community
District of Columbia, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2014 - 08:10 AM UTC
Glenn's book states that he uses MM enamel paint. He doesn't mention a clear gloss coat on his models except where he plans on putting decals. After decaling he does an overall flat coat with enamel products (from what I can gather from his Vol 1 book). Q: Doesn't turpentine eat through enamel without some type of non-enamel (aka: acrylic) gloss or flat barrier coat to protect the finish?

I gather that the turpentine alternatives out there are weak enough to not eat through enamel...but can still thin out oil paints for washes and such.

Am I on the right track here?

Cheers
Collin
spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2014 - 08:48 AM UTC
I don't know his tech or have his book, but back in the day when I used only enamel paint I got excellent results with household polyurethane varnish
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2014 - 09:39 PM UTC
Q: Doesn't turpentine eat through enamel without some type of non-enamel (aka: acrylic) gloss or flat barrier coat to protect the finish?

Turps will make your model brittle, avoid it is and use a proper thinner is my suggestion.

Al
collin
Visit this Community
District of Columbia, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2014 - 09:52 PM UTC
Suggestions on proper thinners?

Thanks.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2014 - 09:56 PM UTC
I used balsamic turpentine long time ago, it does not eat through any kind of paint, nor does it harm painted plastic in my experience. Enamel thinners tend to eat through enamel and acrylic coats with ease. Isopropyl alcohol makes plastic brittle.

The way to go is to use Ronsonol lighter fluid, it evaporates fast (sometimes even too fast), does not attack anything and does not leave glossy surface as turpentines do.

Cheers
Greg
 _GOTOTOP