_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Pacific Sherman
MG42_Gunner
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2003 - 03:14 PM UTC
Hey fellas

I have just purchased a 1/35 Italeri Sherman kit No 6389, its the standard M4A1 Sherman that the US Marines used in the pacific theatre with some modifications for that kind of island hopping warfare, for example the 2 massive snorkels housed on top of the engine grill and exhaust and the planks of wood bolted along the sides of the tanks hull.

now for my questions, why did they bolt the wood on to the tanks sides, and how did they do it?

and in the instructions, there are some tracks that are supposed to be glued to the side of the turret, however there seems to be nothing holding the tracks in place, so how in say real life would the tracks stay on the turret? what did the americans use to hold them on the turret?

Thank you gentlemen
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2003 - 03:33 PM UTC
Actually, I believe it is an A2 or A3 sherman, hence the welded hull. The wooden boards were protection from magnetic mines, just like the zimmerit of german tanks.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2003 - 04:26 PM UTC
I imagine they just welded the tracks straight onto the hull. As for the bolts, perhaps they welded them to the hull as well. I think they may have drilled holes into the steel armor and tapped threads into the holes and then just screwed the planks on.
nfafan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2003 - 04:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey fellas

now for my questions, why did they bolt the wood on to the tanks sides, and how did they do it?

and in the instructions, there are some tracks that are supposed to be glued to the side of the turret, however there seems to be nothing holding the tracks in place, so how in say real life would the tracks stay on the turret? what did the americans use to hold them on the turret?

Thank you gentlemen

The tracks were welded directly to the tank's surface areas.
Same for nails on horizontal surfaces if you model one with the nails.

The planks were likely held on with nuts on long bolts that were welded to the hull sides (and sometimes the "bogie trucks" too.).
There was a space of several inches maintained between the planks and the hull surface - in which concrete was poured.
The top-most "run" of wood planks would likely have a length of jagged "saw tooth" shaped sheet steel nailed on. Anything to keep the Japanese from piling on the tank.

This is a good kit that if built relatively OOTB as an M4A3 (it's definately not a M4A2 as the instructions might lead you to believe with the engine deck swap!) you can still build an accurate USMC M4A3.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 03:32 AM UTC
The New Vanguard book (Sherman Medium Tank, 1942-45) has an excellent photograph on page 35 of an M4a3 with the wooden side 'armor' , also mentioned in the text (and shown in the photo), is the addition of wire mesh over the turret hatches, there is also mention of sandbags on the rear hull (as well as track/sandbags over the front glacis plate) looking at the pic of the side 'armor' it appears to have been planks cut to size, and bolted on to the side hull....Jim
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 06:04 PM UTC
Standard M4 on Iwo Jima Just thought I'd throw this in for subject matter about the plank's and nails. If you notice plank's were even placed over the the bogies. The japs would actually charge the M4's with grenades and other explosives and thrown themselves in between the bogies. ....... Sort of infantry komikazes !

- ralph
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 12:50 AM UTC
Ralph thanks for that pic. I had never seen that additional wood on the running gear, definitely a new one for me....Jim
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 02:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ralph thanks for that pic. I had never seen that additional wood on the running gear, definitely a new one for me....Jim

Hi jimbrae, yeh, anything to keep them little savages off the armor and give some added protection for the Marine tank crews.
If you ever get the chance, pick up Concord Publications " Pacific Tank Battles " ... There's some great photo's of other Marine tanks on Iwo Jima that were rigged up in the same manner.

- ralph
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 02:54 AM UTC
Well, I built this baby. I discarded the kit supplied sides and added my own planks secured with Grandt bolt heads. Look into the Eduards after market kit. Contains a whole lot of things you will never use, but it has the screen system for the hatches which is invaluable. You might also consult the Osprey publication on the Shermans. I followed their camouflage paint scheme. Great model, good luck with it.
DJ
MG42_Gunner
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 11:22 AM UTC
Thank you all very much for your troubles.

I have already started building and when i finish the sherman, i'll post some photos of the finished tank.

Thanks to all, from MG42
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 09:52 AM UTC
Slightly off topic, but still related:

Does anyone have any idea when Dragon is going to release their Iwo Jima M4A2 Sherman this year...........?

Thanks!

Aloha,

Johnny B.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 10:45 AM UTC
I thought it was a Russian M4A2 or are they releasing two different M4A2s this year?
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 03:23 PM UTC
Thus far it is the Russian M4A2 with Marine version due out later...hopefully, not too much later! Personally, I wish it was the other way around!! Oh well, I guess I'll practice my patience, which comes in handy in our hobby!

Aloha,

Johnny B.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 10:16 PM UTC
I haven't heard about the marine version although the conversion would be simple enough, the M4a2 hull is going to be useful enough as it is....mmmmmmmmm! :-)--
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 02:05 AM UTC
That new M4A2 is going to be a 76mm version -- pretty much only used by the Soviets. If you want to do a Marine version, it would be a simple matter of swapping turrets with a Tamiya M4A3. Then you would have a M4A2 75mm late and a M4A3 76mm.

Academy is also doing a M4A2 76mm.
 _GOTOTOP