_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Danger Of Using Wal-Mart Paint
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 02:41 AM UTC
I decided to paint some Centaur tank wheels with the Wal-Mart store brand flat black paint, which does look like tire black. Unfortunately I noted that it accumulated too much and I'll have to soak it off. What should I do next time? One coat enough?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 02:43 AM UTC
I hold the can approximately 7 inches from the piece. Two light coats should be enough.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 03:47 AM UTC
I use black automotive enamel primer...i spray it into a paper cup..then transfer it into my airbrush cup where I add mineral spirit thinner. I then spray 2 very thin coats, leave if for a couple days.
I usually have about 4 kits on the go at the same time so I always have something else to do while it dries.
tankglasgow
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 275 posts
Armorama: 260 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 05:00 AM UTC
Hi Tom, I recently ran out of my preferred matt black (Humbrol) and bought a tin of Asda (huge supermarket chain in UK owned by US giant Walmart) own brand household matt black and thinned it down with enamel thinners for hand brushing tyres, it laid down fine with no problems, think the trick is to thin it down well and use light coats. The tin only cost a couple of quid (175ml) and will last for years!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 05:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I decided to paint some Centaur tank wheels with the Wal-Mart store brand flat black paint, which does look like tire black. Unfortunately I noted that it accumulated too much and I'll have to soak it off. What should I do next time? One coat enough?

Step One...don;t go to Wal-mart
Step Two...don't go to Wal-mart.
Step Three...repeat steps one and two.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 07:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Step One...don;t go to Wal-mart
Step Two...don't go to Wal-mart.
Step Three...repeat steps one and two.

Well, if you have any better ideas for tire flat black paint spray I'm all ears.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 07:24 AM UTC
If you have an airbrush which I'm not sure of,I use Tamiya German Gray mixed with Tamiya Flat Black,comes out a faded black-gray depending on your mix.Of course you can hand brush it also.
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 07:56 AM UTC
Wal Mart also sells a greyish-black acrylic that's a great match for tire black. But it isn't called tire black. I think it's called "Pavement" - look in the crafts section the next time you go there. You'll have to thin it a little, of course.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 08:08 AM UTC
I have a hard time spraying Vallejo model color and I did not buy that at Walmart ?
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 10:07 AM UTC
Try Rust-0-leum Dark Gray from their Automobile Primer line (2089). It's a real dark gray, almost black...and I use it for tires. I know Wally-World carries it and it's about $3-4 a can.

_GOTOTOP