_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Arty Silencer. What will they think of next.
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Armorama: 994 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 - 03:25 AM UTC
Found this while doing a search. Odd, not very portable. LOL.

http://weirdworldwonders.com/worlds-largest-artillery-silencer/

See ya in the funnies............
M4A3E8Easy8
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 302 posts
Armorama: 300 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 - 03:31 AM UTC
It will be in the next World of tanks update.. I am sure on some russian monster SPG.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 - 03:33 AM UTC
I saw that too! I wonder if it's legal to own one in Colorado!!!
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 - 05:56 AM UTC
The article indicates that it's "used for test firing at artillery ranges that are directly on the urban fringe without creating any inconvenience to the nearby civilian population due to noise." Yeah. Right. Minimize the muzzle blast so as not to disturb anyone. As if the sound of incoming rounds exploding within the impact area doesn't piss off the locals.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 - 06:05 AM UTC
Joseph I live on Salisbury plain and next to an RAF base, and so the sounds of war are common around here, no different than birdsong. you become so use to the sounds you actually only really notice when they are not there. The only person I have heard of that is supposed to have complained, was Sting when they wanted to base the flight refuelling aircraft at the base and which would be flying over the top of his house.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 - 06:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The article indicates that it's "used for test firing at artillery ranges that are directly on the urban fringe without creating any inconvenience to the nearby civilian population due to noise." Yeah. Right. Minimize the muzzle blast so as not to disturb anyone. As if the sound of incoming rounds exploding within the impact area doesn't piss off the locals.

Quite a few testing rounds are without explosive filler. They just impact. So this will help. And some testing ranges are two-parters with the firing position located closer to town than the target range (and therefor NOT switchable) so even a "boom" on the target range might not be the problem.

As for "getting used to it" - That is the reason most citizens of my hometown have no visible neck (me included). We got used to F4F Phantom II from Rheine-Hopsten on alert takeof passing over our heads at 50-75m without black smoke coming from the J79s.

God, I miss the old bird. RH is closed down and even if not, those new fangled flying Nintendos lack the "sound of freedom/power of god" effect of the old Phab.
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 - 06:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joseph I live on Salisbury plain and next to an RAF base, and so the sounds of war are common around here, no different than birdsong. you become so use to the sounds you actually only really notice when they are not there. The only person I have heard of that is supposed to have complained, was Sting when they wanted to base the flight refuelling aircraft at the base and which would be flying over the top of his house.

I understand where you're coming from, Darren. I used to live under the approach flight path into LaGuardia Airport. Planes coming in every ninety seconds all day. My wife finally convinced me to move us into an apartment.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 - 07:14 AM UTC
Well I guess if the aircraft wheels were 20 ft from my roof as they landed, I might move as well LOL.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 - 08:20 AM UTC
On the subject of silencers: The Swiss army put external silencers on their Leopard 2 tanks in the late 80's early 1990's, think 2 x 55 gallon barrels attached to the rear end of the Leo.
The silencing was efficient since the civilians stopped complaining about noisy tanks in the neighbourhood. A secondary effect was that damages to the tanks reduced significantly, they used to have a lot of damaged rear lights and such. Since the silencers were made of thin sheet metal they were fragile and it was immediately visible if some driver had been careless ;-)

Those artillery silencers were used at German artillery ranges, both for training of crews and for tests.
/ Robin
 _GOTOTOP