All things Vietnam
Hosted by Darren Baker
Gun Trucks and Base Camp photos
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 09:10 AM UTC
I have posted some photos of actual Gun Trucks and a few photos of the Base Camp Cu Chi where I was stationed during my tour of duty in 1967 to 1968 https://armorama.kitmaker.net/photos/showgallery.php?cat=12306&ppuser=1742
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 09:14 AM UTC
Thanks for Sharing!!!!!
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 09:19 AM UTC
You bring it out of me Matt.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 11:04 AM UTC

Holy Mackeral animal....................you've even got pics of the 'Untouchable"...a GT I've been trying to get the parts for forever. I've got the Real Model's cab conversion, but have not been able to get the more accurate AM wheel set. Of course, sometimes I tend to get to wrapped up in 'getting it all right' before I start something, and that starts a whole seperate cascade of events.
I have had my heart set on the 'Untouchable' for quite awhile now.....do you have any other pics of the 'Untouchable' pray tell??

Thx.

Tread.

Also, I don't suppose you know if any of the original 'Untouchable' crew is still around, do you?
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 11:34 AM UTC
Yes to both questions. I have more photos of the truck and I also know the crew members who have made a real replica of the truck. He lives in Tn. I will get the info for you is a little while.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 11:45 AM UTC

animal......you have my 'awe' meter seriously pegged. Seriously.

If you can deliver on the first, I am in your debt. And, If you can deliver on the second, .......well, I don't know what to say...

Do you have a web site for the truck or crew??????????
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 12:07 PM UTC

wait a minute, wait a minute.....this is just starting to sink in, did you say they've built a replica of the 'Untouchable'??....do they have 'Walkaround' photos? Do they have a web site? Have they built the fighting compartment? Is it in a museum somewhere I can see? Do they have a Reunion gathering?
(is that enough Q's for you? :-))

Tread.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 12:19 PM UTC
Thank you for posting these Animal, I could look at this stuff all day !
I did not go to Nam, but I was in the Army from 69 to 71.
I drove a 106 RR Jeep, 1st inf. div.
Now I could realy get into modeling these trucks !

Thanks again,
Garry
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 01:26 PM UTC
OK Tread here is athe site for the gun truck crews. Go to the pictures and click on the Untouchable replica photos. I am checking my photos here at home to see what I have on this truck http://groups.msn.com/VietnamGuntrucks/_homepage.msnw?pgmarket=en-us . I have a lot more photos of different trucks that I plan to post soon.
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 01:32 PM UTC

Hows this for an interior shot of the gun box?
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 01:58 PM UTC
Great photos Dave... thanks for your time!!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 03:52 PM UTC

NOW THAT'S WHAT i'M TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!!

U da man animal! :-) :-) :-)

That picture of the fighting compartment, or gun box is exactly why I like the 'Untouchable' soooo much! Can you think of a better gun configuration?.......think not. These guys musta been bumping butt's and elbow's when someone dropped a dime in the Jukebox!

Many, many thx again animal.

Tread.
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 04:51 PM UTC
This truck had some fire power, but, it was not the most armed truck in Nam. That honor goes to the Maverick. It had four mini guns two twin 60. The Gun Truck Cold Sweat (my favorite) had two mini's four 50's and a twin 60 for the driver. I know the crews to both these trucks. They were on some of the convoys that I was on. They are pretty awesome to watch when they light up.
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 12:15 AM UTC
Very interesting!

I'm new here so first greetings for all guntruck fans
I spent last few weeks looking for pictures of "Sopwith Camel" guntruck but I found none.
Maybe one of you have some or knows where can I find them in the net?

Thanks,
Piotr
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 02:42 AM UTC
Those are awesome, Animal.

My dad was at CuChi in 69. One of these days I need to go through his slides and see what he has. It's been at least 25 years since we last looked at them, but I know he had a few pics of gun trucks -- I remember that they inspired me to make some "custom mods" on a couple car kits I had way back when.

I'll have to show your pics to my dad and see if I can shake a story or two out of him.
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 02:52 AM UTC
First off Welcome to Armorama Piotr. The photos that you are searching for are right here on Armorama. Gunnie our Patron Saint of Gun Trucks has some. If you go to his site http://www.guntruck.com/ you will find what you need.

Bob I would love to see some photos of the old Base Camp of your dad's. The only ones I have are the ones I posted here. All of my photos were destroyed in a flood many years ago.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 02:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very interesting!

I'm new here so first greetings for all guntruck fans
I spent last few weeks looking for pictures of "Sopwith Camel" guntruck but I found none.
Maybe one of you have some or knows where can I find them in the net?

Thanks,
Piotr

Howdy Piotr!

First allow me to wish you a hearty welcome to Armorama! Believe me, you'll enjoy your stay here . :-)
Secondly, regarding your request for 'Sopwith Camel' pics. Are you looking for photos of the real truck, or a built up kit? Because, if you're looking for a model of the 'Sopwith Camel' you need to go check out our own Gunnie's web site. He has an absolutely superb example of the GunTruck 'Sopwith Camel'! I'm a bit of a computer illiterate, so I unfortunately can't provide you with a 'hotlink', just click on his website featured at the bottom of one of his posts and voila! you're there! His 'Sopwith Camel' will knock your socks off!! #:-)
hth.

Tread.
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy Piotr!

First allow me to wish you a hearty welcome to Armorama! Believe me, you'll enjoy your stay here . :-)
Secondly, regarding your request for 'Sopwith Camel' pics. Are you looking for photos of the real truck, or a built up kit? Because, if you're looking for a model of the 'Sopwith Camel' you need to go check out our own Gunnie's web site. He has an absolutely superb example of the GunTruck 'Sopwith Camel'! I'm a bit of a computer illiterate, so I unfortunately can't provide you with a 'hotlink', just click on his website featured at the bottom of one of his posts and voila! you're there! His 'Sopwith Camel' will knock your socks off!! #:-)
hth.

Tread.

Yes, I've seen guntruck site before and in fact this stunning model was my inspiration.
Now I have only minor details to scratchbuilt and of course painting and weathering. I'm looking for photos of real truck. For me it's very mysterious vehicle - I couldn't find any info, unit, history but it looks so cool that I made exception from my usual rules and make model without good documentation, based only on Jim's photos. I was sure that in time of modeling I'll find something in the net but I was wrong.

Happy new year!
Piotr
animal
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 04:23 AM UTC
There are only two or three photos of the truck that we know of. The truck was assigned to the 444 Transportation Company of the 8th trans group 27th trans. Bn. The truck saw service from late 1967 to 1968. The truck was destroyed in late 1968.
sharpshooter
Visit this Community
Lodi, Italy
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 04:38 AM UTC
Really astonished for all possibility this forum offers... I mean for images, either real or models, and for level of people and experiences that can be found searching. I think that many hours will be spent in surfing the site to locate all pages. I was in an italian modelling forum but level was decreasing... my modelling will increase here!!!

By the way, I like trucks and my interest for Nam trucks is really increasingf...only looking at this.

A great site and a really good forum, nothing more to say.
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 02:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There are only two or three photos of the truck that we know of. The truck was assigned to the 444 Transportation Company of the 8th trans group 27th trans. Bn. The truck saw service from late 1967 to 1968. The truck was destroyed in late 1968.

Many thanks animal!
Next week I'll try to post some pictures of my Camel for your your (and other guntruck fans) judgement :-)
 _GOTOTOP