_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Contests
This group is home to our various contests, promotions and drawings.
Hosted by Darren Baker
World Model Expo 2014 Stresa Italy "Tanks 2 "
gigi63
Visit this Community
Parma, Italy
KitMaker: 241 posts
Armorama: 241 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2014 - 04:41 AM UTC
Here is a second set of photos of military vehicles at this event.

http://acciaioverdemodellingblog.blogspot.it/2014/07/world-model-expo-2014-in-stresa-italy_21.html

Best Regards Luigi
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2014 - 05:03 AM UTC
Do you have any photos of the Egyptian 122mm D-30 SPG that is shown on the cover page of the web site? If so, would love to copy a few of that vehicle.
gigi63
Visit this Community
Parma, Italy
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2014 - 05:53 AM UTC
Hi john in a future post I will publish the photos of this tank that I made some years ago.Unfortunately now I have to organize the photos and look for those made ​​during the work in progress and I hope soon feel like you please.For now,I post two of these photos hope you like it.

Cheers Luigi

vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 - 06:50 AM UTC
Thanx! Always nice to see similiar builds. Very nice work!! You can view my photos of the same vehicle I entered in the 2012 IPMS Nationals (eventually finishing 4th) on the photo portion of our conversation here. After a bit of a re-do/re-paint, I'll be entering the same vehicle in the 2014 IPMS Nationals, 5-9 August 2014. Both turrets of either vehicle is scratchbuilt...from measurements and photos of the real deal. Take notice how 'dark' I made both the Egyptian 122mm and the 100mm vehicles. This is how I recall both vehicles while travelling in the military, along with visiting Egypt a few times in the 70s and 80s. Both vehicles staying outside for years...darkening almost all the features. I had to go from memory, as photography of any military vehicle/subject in Egypt was a no-no at the time...especially by a foreign national of another military. We weren't the favorite people of the Egyptians at the time in the late 70's since we pretty much supported Israel most of the time...lol.
gigi63
Visit this Community
Parma, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 08:16 AM UTC
Hi John if you can be of help to color this picture where I know I can still see the original color.

Best Regards Luigi
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 08:52 AM UTC
If memory serves me correctly, the base color is a light desert sand (unknown origin or paint code) with a light olive drab (unknown origin or paint code). I also saw a similiar vehicle wih an added color of a medium to light blue (at least it looked like a blue), and again, unknown origin or code. The Egyptian vehicles I saw were only two colors, while the "museum" pieces were three. Did the Egyptians or the museum add the 3rd color? Who knows...

Your colors on your model are really close...a very good representation. The desert is very cruel to colors...either fading them to the point of being worn away to factory primer, or, completely darkened by the hot sun. I've see it both ways travelling the Middle East. I prefer to darken mine...gives a much more worn, burned in, used look.

Hope this helps...
 _GOTOTOP