_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Best Matte/Dull/Flat Spray to Use?
Cookiescool2
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 11:44 AM UTC
Hi everyone, new modellour here,
as I've been building some of my first 1/35 armor models I have run into an issue.

Since I do not currently own an airbrush I have been using Tamiya's "TS" spray line to paint my models. While this works well, the problem occurs with the decals. I must brush paint Tamiya's Clear Acrylic onto areas where the decals will go; this works well, but leaves awkward shiny spots all over the model. So I need a spray that will dry to an extremely flat/dull finish. I do not apply weathering to my models yet so it needs to be absolutely flat.

I've been trying to find things at my LHS, and the only thing I've been able to find is the Testor's Dullcote, which is fine expect for the fact that I use Tamiya's Acrylic line on the wheels and accessories, so I'm not sure how it would react with the acrylic there.

Please aid me in this quest. Thanks for reading, and happy Modelling!

-Alan
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 02:04 PM UTC
Testor's Dull Coat sprayed by airbrush or out of the rattle can will not have any adverse effect on either acrylics (to include Tamiya's) or enamels or other lacquers.

I've been using it since the early to mid-70's on every kind of paint imaginable with no ill effects, first from the rattle can and for the last 25 years through the airbrush.

You should have no compatibility issues.

HTH,
Mike
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 339 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 03:36 PM UTC
I agree 100% with Mike. Been using Testor's Dull Coat for many years, but my experience is limited to rattle can. One thing I have found over the years is that to get the best results, shake the can for a minute then place it in a sink or pan of hot water (out of the tap is hot enough) for a few minutes. Then take it out, dry it and give it another quick shake before spraying. The heat will raise the pressure slightly helping to atomize the product a little better and giving you better finish.

I've used it over all sorts of paints and with only a very few exceptions it hasn't reacted adversely or failed to give a nice flat finish.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 - 05:39 AM UTC
Don: Thank you for the atomizing tip.
Cookiescool2
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 - 07:35 AM UTC
Thank you for all you replies. However, my LHS has it listed as an Enamel spray, yet the bottle says Lacquer Overcoat. Anyone know why?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 - 09:12 AM UTC
They are both alcohol based, would be my guess. You thin it with lacquer thinner. Although, I have had some success thinning it with regular paint thinner. This was just an experiment, as I have a large supply of Dull Coat.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 08:59 AM UTC
Since you don't own an airbrush Walther's DDV (Decal Dulling Varnish) would work well for you. I've been brushed it on models since the 70's and it doesn't leave brush strokes. I think it may be out of production right now, but apparently some shops still carry leftover stock.
 _GOTOTOP