_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Neo fo Iwata?
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 443 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 - 03:50 AM UTC
Hey Guys,

So I am toying with the idea of buying a Neo for Iwata and I am wondering if any of you has any experience with it?

Is it any better then noname Chinese copies? According to reviews it should be better quality and has a 5-year warranty.

I have a BD-130 now and I think I might try Neo for Iwata before investing in something really professional.

So any first hand experience, please?

Thank you!
redcap
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 - 04:08 AM UTC

Buy with 100% confidence. I bought mine about 2 months ago with the sole intention of using it as a complimentary/backup airbrush for my Iwata HP-C Plus.

Truth be told and for me personally, I find it performs every bit as good as the HP-C Plus costing about 3 times as much.I can spray just as finely when the paint is correctly thinned and delicate weathering, exhaust staining and Luftwaffe mottling etc is no problem at all.

Build quality wise and thus far, it appears to be every bit as good as a branded 'Iwata'. Indeed, had they not said it was a licensed built item, I would never have know the difference.

At under £50.00 delivered which is what I paid, I think it's the best bargain I have had in this hobby for many a year.

Gary
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 - 04:29 AM UTC
got one couple of yrs back nice airbrush,only problems i have is when i spray Vallejo model colour it blocks up everytime even when I use retarder thats my only complaint
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 - 07:42 AM UTC
Have a gravity feed one since mid 2012. The results where mixed:

With Revell Aqua I never got the thing to work properly. Clogging, uneven patterns and all the other hickups. Now that could be a problem of the Aqua series (with the official thinner as well as with water and whatever else is said to "work")

When I went back to Tamiya and the standard X20 acrylic thinner - it works perfectly smooth. No more clogging. Good pattern. Easy to clean. A dream given the rather low price.

redcap
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 - 07:50 AM UTC
Adam,

Further to my initial post and given the comments from the other guys. I shoot (only) Tamiya, Gunze (BOTH Acrylics) and also Alclad II through my NEO with perfect and trouble free results every time.

Other paints/mediums? - I am unable to comment upon.

Gary
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 - 08:19 AM UTC
I love my Neo, I have an Iwata CS, and seem to like my Neo better. I spray Tamiya, Vallejo(Air and Primer), and Alclad, and it works perfectly. I would definitely recommend it.

JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 443 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 - 09:08 AM UTC
Thank you Guys! Looking good...

I use Tamiya and Gunze acrylics and might try Vallejo as well.

Cheers,

Adam
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 - 09:09 AM UTC
Having used the Neo for some time I have found it reasonably dependable. The only issue I have had is as it gets older I have found the needle needs to be lubed on a more regular basis.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 - 11:56 AM UTC
I have used both Iwata and Badger airbrushes. I was a staunch Iwata user, for a couple of years. However, I would recommend that you look into the Badger Sotar 20/20. It runs about $90usd and is superior to the Iwatas I have used. It also has a travel lock, for keeping detail painting at the same width. Just my two cents.
 _GOTOTOP