_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
I Dun Goofed
HomieNo
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 01:04 PM UTC
Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I recently tried my hand at a Late Model Panther. Things went well and I think I did alright on the paint-job. However, last night I decided to add some panel streaks. Today I'm scared!

As the picture below will detail, the turpenoid I utilized seems to have "bled" onto the surrounding area and it looks awful.

Any possible solutions? I'd rather not have to repaint.

Thanks in advance gents.

MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 01:27 PM UTC
Can you 'stump' the streaks with a brush lightly dampened with enamel thinner?
Basically you are wiping downwards along the streak with a clean damp brush, spreading out the paint. You can repeat over and over to diminish the vibrancy of the effect.

This might allow you to blend the streaks and remove some of te paint as you go.

If you are working on a semi gloss basecoat this will work more easily.

After 24+ hours the enamel/oils start to set up and are more permanent.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 01:29 PM UTC
Did you seal the paint before applying the streaks?
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 01:46 PM UTC
Simon,

Welcome to posting!

What to do without repainting? Zimmerit it!

Seriously, is it painted with enamels or acrylics? And as Darren asked, is the paint sealed prior to the weathering?

If you used acrylics or sealed it, you may be able to get away with just wiping it away with more thinner.

If not, try Mike D's idea.

Or, use thinner to dilute the streaks and work them into the paint as weathering. I understand why you do not want to obscure your good camo work.

If none of those ideas are practice or appealing, what about covering the turret with foliage and storage?

Sorry you are in this pickle. Long ago before I fully understood how paints can behave, I built Italeri's Pzr IV F-1. I painted it a glorious 3-color scheme, then used a new technique I'd read about: brown paint in mineral spirits for wash. Looked good except the next day the horizontal surfaces paint was cracked like dried mud.

Success with your fix!
HomieNo
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 02:13 PM UTC
Hey fellas!

Thanks for the advice.

I used a satin varnish to seal the model before I tried the streaks - everything I used was acrylic, with the exception of the streaks themselves which were a burnt sienna oil.

Would mineral spirits work to thin the oil? If so I will definitely give that a try and hopefully remove some of that turpenoid in the process.

If not I'll see what I can do about making some foliage
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 - 02:42 PM UTC
The oil paint should allow itself to be blended out with a brush moistened with mineral spirits.

You might not be able to blend it to completely hide the edges, but you should be able to make a very great improvement in transparency of the streaks.

You were on the right track, just waited too long to blend the streaking. Next time, blend / fade the streaks nearly as soon as you apply them. The oil paint has a nice working time and is very forgiving, but instead of using Turpenoid or pure turps, next time just use mineral spirits to work with the oils.

Give the moist brush a try though. You should get some improvement even after 24 hours.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2014 - 07:23 AM UTC
So how did it turn out?

Mike
Saber7
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2014 - 07:45 AM UTC
You could try blending as has been suggested however you may end up with more of the same if you have not sealed the base coat with a flat of some sort such as Testors or Vallejo. Or you could go the educational route , push your boundaries and start working on intermediate to advanced finishing techniques... Rinaldi (Tank Art worth 35 bucks!) has some good books on finishing that would apply here and it would cover up your current situation.
Good Luck!
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 523 posts
Armorama: 400 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2014 - 07:58 AM UTC
Hi

You can also go back and touch-up with some lightened base colour and allow some of the streak to show.

T
HomieNo
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 - 03:37 PM UTC
I really appreciate all the suggestions fellas.

I'm in the process of attempting a few of them and I will post a photo upon completion!
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 - 11:03 PM UTC
Depending on what you used to create the streaks? I'm guessing oil paint & mineral spirits over acrylic?? If so, just use mineral spirits on a paper towel to gently wipe it off..next hit it with the airbrush again , wash it.etc...low pressure. The mineral spirits shouldn't mess up your acrylic camo but if it does discolor or get scratched...airbrush it again.
I always use acrylic paint then use enamel or oil washes, streaks just because of this same situation. Mineral spirits will not affect the acrylic.
HomieNo
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 - 06:48 PM UTC
Hey fellas,

So I've got some bad news: I tried to remove the turpenoid and blend as suggested, unfortunately it was really greasy stuff and would not dissipate. I had to repaint, I taped off the affected areas and windex'd that sucker.

I want to thank everybody for their suggestions! I definitely learned my lesson.

Here is the semi-completed kit:

_GOTOTOP