_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Knocked-Out SU-76M
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2014 - 10:01 AM UTC
I want to depict a Korean War SU-76M that has been knocked out. Admittedly, most of the hardware is on the vehicle's exterior, but I wanted to know how to depict a vehicle that got hit by a tank round that didn't turn it into twisted scrap metal-if such were possible.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2014 - 04:05 PM UTC
Hi Tom;

During the Korean War the SU-76 did not see much if any action against Allied Tanks, the North had more T-34/85s !
The NKPA liked too use them in Ambush situations, and most pictures that I have in my Library show them after they were Abandoned by there Crews. The ones that I have seen were Burnt Out after there Engines had fuel tank were set on fire and all of the Rubber had Burnt off the Road Wheels. The one action that I can recall was the NKPA had set A Ambush next too A Road with Two 76s Hidden in A Dry River Bed which ran next too the Road and were Hidden in some Brush. They Waited and Ambushed A Convoy of Vehicles that were advancing along the road, they were Quickly Destroyed. Squadrons Book on the Korean War is A Good Reference !-----Hope this Helps !!!

CHEERS; MIKE.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2014 - 04:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Tom;

During the Korean War the SU-76 did not see much if any action against Allied Tanks, the North had more T-34/85s !
The NKPA liked too use them in Ambush situations, and most pictures that I have in my Library show them after they were Abandoned by there Crews. The ones that I have seen were Burnt Out after there Engines had fuel tank were set on fire and all of the Rubber had Burnt off the Road Wheels. The one action that I can recall was the NKPA had set A Ambush next too A Road with Two 76s Hidden in A Dry River Bed which ran next too the Road and were Hidden in some Brush. They Waited and Ambushed A Convoy of Vehicles that were advancing along the road, they were Quickly Destroyed. Squadrons Book on the Korean War is A Good Reference !-----Hope this Helps !!!

CHEERS; MIKE.

Yes, a T-34/85 would suit the purpose better anyway. Thanks!
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2014 - 04:41 PM UTC
Hi Tom;

The Squadron Book is Armor In Korea by Jim Mesko; and Concords Book Tank Warfare In Korea, Both are o.k. and have some Good Pics, ! The T-34/85 would be A Better choice, as the kits that I have seen on the SU-76 were real Dogs.

GOOD LUCK; MIKE.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2014 - 10:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Tom;

The Squadron Book is Armor In Korea by Jim Mesko; and Concords Book Tank Warfare In Korea, Both are o.k. and have some Good Pics, ! The T-34/85 would be A Better choice, as the kits that I have seen on the SU-76 were real Dogs.

GOOD LUCK; MIKE.

Mike,
Surely you heven't seen Miniart's SU76 kits? Check this out:
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/miniart/miniart35036.html

Cheers,
Greg
EdCraft
Visit this Community
Sverdlovsk, Russia
KitMaker: 187 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2014 - 04:57 AM UTC
Well, men. We must respect the choice of each person in it's modelling preferences.
SU76 is really interesting object for modelling !

As to T34 - whole history of tanks shows, there were not only "Tigers", "Shermans" and T34s in the World - that history was more "rich and colourful". There were many - many other vehicles, and many of them were effectively used in combat. We see hundreds and hundreds of scale models of T34s in each modelling show, Forum, magazine, video, blog, advertisement...
So, why not to look at SU76 model now ? For diversity ?

O.K., Tom, see this link:

http://blog.daum.net/_blog/BlogTypeView.do?blogid=0I1Jj&vblogid=&beforePage=35&maxarticleno=2243481&minarticleno=2243481&maxregdt=20130922112024&minregdt=20130922112024¤tPage=36&listScale=20&viewKind=&dispkind=B2201&CATEGORYID=315110&categoryId=315110&articleno=®dt=&date=&calv=&chgkey=mIuurdzP9j3iDQ21OeaBilLipIbeJ4vn3ovWz7UvVE10&totalcnt=59

This is some reference on Korean SU76s. Note photo #7 from above in this page.
This is battle damaged SU76, and it is not looks like "twisted scrap metal". As You can see, left track of SU is broken by round. Whole gun barrel is in rear position due to damage (by another round hit) of main return cylinder of ZiS3 gun (this cylinder was filled with oil and was used to return barrel in forward position after each shot). Cylinder was broken, oil spilled, and barrel rolled back, in fighting compartment. Note the hole in front piece of armoured cover of gun cylinders - immediately below barrel. We see not any traces of fire - possibly, all SU crew was escaped. And, possibly, this SU have some damages on it's left side - but who knows exactly ?

I feel sure, this is excellent basic photo for Your modelling purposes.

The following images on that page show other SU76 on road, which is not "twisted scrap metal" too. I think, this particular SU was damaged by flame after round(s) hit(s)- I seem, the rubber on it's road wheels is burned. Also we can see damaged armour sheets on roof of engine compartment, and various crew's stuff on the ground near and behind of vehicle.

So, good luck to You in SU76 modelling !
 _GOTOTOP