_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
T-44 Upgrades?
Tank_builder
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 394 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2014 - 06:00 AM UTC
Hey everyone.
I picked up the Accurate Armour T-44, and was wondering what you all recommended to make it better. Thanks for any help.
-Seth
gconterio
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2014 - 08:15 AM UTC
I have one! You can add wheels/tracks from late model T-34s. If you want to get adventurous, you can try to find a proper drive sprocket, and do tracks and running gear from an early T-54, as I believe I have seen a few photos of them so outfitted.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2014 - 12:41 PM UTC
Hi;

Having not seen the AA kit, the only thing that I can think of would be A Metal 85mm Barrel. And from what I have read about it, that it really does not need A lot of Details too add anyway !

CHEERS; MIKE.
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2014 - 02:30 PM UTC
When I did mine, all I really did was minor stuff - replace the gun barrel with a metal one, replace the kit tracks with Fruils, and replace the horn with a brass part from Modelpoint (mainly because the carpet monster ate the one that came with the kit). I was fairly pleased with the end result, even if the green I used was a little over-4BO-ish and the end result of my attempts at chipping suggested that somebody had tried to gravel-blast the turret. I left the wheels as they were - they were right for the vehicle I was doing.

If you wanted to try more, there's always replacing the fuel drums with PE parts (although the kit ones are fine, IMHO), reworking the engine deck covers (I had to do this to some extent after getting over-zealous with annealing and blasting a hole through the mesh with my blowtorch), rebuilding the rear ice sprag rack using some suitable PE T-34 sprags as the basis, maybe adding an antenna to the armored pot. However, as another poster said, it's pretty good out of the box.

As basic, vanilla T-44s go, the AA kit seemed to be pretty close to all the references that I could find (which were a lot less than now, just two years later, largely due I suspect to it being included in WoT). I'd love to try a T-44M or similar but I'm still hopeful we'll some day see an injection-molded kit (since WWII-era Soviet stuff seems to be in right now). The AA kit is one of their older efforts (early 90s, I think) and while it's a pretty easy build, I don't think I'd want to attempt a conversion to a later T-44 based on it, just on the basis of cost (I can't afford a metal machine gun barrel these days, let alone a full resin kit).
Tank_builder
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 394 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Monday, August 04, 2014 - 10:40 AM UTC
Thanks for the input, really appreciate it. Is there anything on the kit that I need to look out for?
-Seth
 _GOTOTOP