Hosted by Darren Baker
Securing Rubble?
camper66
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - 09:45 AM UTC
I have made my own rubble using wall plaster. I have ground it up to somewhere between dust and small BB sized particles. I am trying to determine the best way to secure mounds of it to my diorama. I was thinking diluted white glue. Any suggestions?
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - 09:57 AM UTC
You could try a white glue/water solution in a spray bottle. Arrange the rubble then spray on the solution. The spray won't have enough force to disturb the rubble. While it's still wet sprinkle on more rubble and powder. Repeat until you like the look. It might also be good to put down a layer of Celluclay or styrofoam chunks to build up the shapes of the rubble piles first. That will save on the amount of rubble needed.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - 10:23 AM UTC

Sound advice Biggles!!

And Tyler.....there can never be too much rubble!

Cheers

Romain

jhoenig
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 343 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - 10:44 AM UTC
I would pre wet it a little because it will suck up the glue mix like a sponge, saturate it with plain water then saturate the heck out of it with the glue mix. I would suggest matte medium or one of the scenic cements, sometimes after heavy spraying of a white glue mix it dry's shinny.
- John
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - 12:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And Tyler.....there can never be too much rubble!

What he said! ... The Rubble Police is watching!

I've been using Woodland Scenics 'Scenic Cement;' it works well and dries matte/clear. However, repeat applications are required, so be patient with drying time.

As mentioned above, Styrofoam is useful for building and mocking-up large piles of rubble. However, I recommend a coat of paint as glue/cement tends to easily seep through its pores. Regardless of what you use, if diluted and watery, be aware of potential running and seepage throughout your diorama.

--mike
camper66
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - 01:20 PM UTC
Very good advice!
One thing I forgot to mention. I have a full bottle of Mig pigment fixer. Would this work well also, or should I stick with the white glue solution?
Thanks all.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - 07:48 PM UTC
I concure with Biggles2

I personnaly try to use a minimum of diluted glue. As I have hardly a spray bottle who does not clog after a few sprays, I simply spread well diluted wood glue with the eye dropper.
Sprinkling new dust over it while the glue is still humid helps making the dusty and coarse look.

I don't mind at all if not every dust grain is fixed. It's not that your are going to expose it outside to a strong wind.
Use pure pigments to finish your look.

Greets

Claude
 _GOTOTOP