_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Weird Airbrush Problem
SnowOwl
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - 03:42 PM UTC

Picture explains it pretty well. Airbrush is a Passche VL series at 40PSI. Paint is un-thined Tamiya Acrylic.

Any ideas?
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - 04:15 PM UTC
I've been having a similar issue with one of my Vallejo acrylics ... unwanted worm cammo effect!

Just minutes ago, I did a test spray with another potential problem color by pouring the thinner (Vallejo) into the airbrush reservoir before adding the thick acrylic -- that seemed to help -- maybe. I'll keep testing.

--mike
Jedge3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - 04:57 PM UTC
It looks like fuzz or spiderwebs, I had this with some Mr. Surfacer I was using. It was drying too fast before it hit the model. I thinned it out a little with some Mr. Leveling thinner, reduced my air pressure and moved closer to the surface. That seemed to work.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - 05:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just minutes ago, I did a test spray with another potential problem color by pouring the thinner (Vallejo) into the airbrush reservoir before adding the thick acrylic -- that seemed to help -- maybe. I'll keep testing.

--mike

Quoted Text

It looks like fuzz or spiderwebs, I had this with some Mr. Surfacer I was using. It was drying too fast before it hit the model. I thinned it out a little with some Mr. Leveling thinner, reduced my air pressure and moved closer to the surface. That seemed to work.

I just now did another test, this time with my most problematic color Vallejo Desert Yellow (70.977) — fail! Thinning, low pressure and/or distance didn't seem to make any difference. Back to the laboratory ... tomorrow. I've lost my patients for tonight.

--mike
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 2,888 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - 06:02 PM UTC
If it's acrylic, it's may be a problem with drying too fast, like Jeff said. Maybe try adding a drop of retarder medium to the mix.

justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - 06:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If it's acrylic, it's may be a problem with drying too fast, like Jeff said. Maybe try adding a drop of retarder medium to the mix.

I forgot! ... I've got Liquitex Airbrush Medium in my inventory. Round No. 3: That did the trick!!! And this time, I took careful notes. ... Now I can get some sleep!

Thanks, guys!

SnowOwl ,
I hope this works for you too. Thank you for posting.

--mike
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 01:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... Airbrush is a Passche VL series at 40PSI. Paint is un-thined Tamiya Acrylic.

Any ideas?

You need to reduce (thin) Tamiya's paints for airbrushing.

I use a ratio of about 60:40 paint to reducer, and use a 50:50 mixture of Tamiya's X-20A thinner + ordinary lacquer thinner as the reducer.

I think what we see in the photo, as suggested by others, is blobs of paint that started as drops of paint partially drying on the tip of your airbrush, then being blown onto the model. As these sticky drops pull away from the tip, they draw out into strings and filaments that land on the model.

Tamiya paints are not formulated "air brush ready" like some others. In fact most paints are not ready to spray right out of the bottle. Those that are, are the exceptions.

First try thinning the paint, and once you do, I'm guessing that you'll be able to reduce your air pressure by nearly half to start with - down in the 20-25 psi range.

HTH!
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 01:49 AM UTC
What kind of Vallejo ? Model air or model color ?
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 05:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Vallejo Model Color 'Desert Yellow' (70.977).
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 05:16 AM UTC
Tamiya paint needs to be thinned at least 50/50, I use Tamiya's own thinner as I know the result I get. the pressure is also high as I spray at 10 to 20 psi at the most.
Jedge3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 05:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Vallejo Model Color 'Desert Yellow' (70.977).

When I use model color in my airbrush I only thin with the Vallejo thinner, the new clear stuff made to "turn" the model color into AB ready paint. I know other stuff has worked people but I have found this to be my best bet. I add the thinner and some of the golden airbrush medium and I paint at about 15 to 20 psi with little issues.

Jeff
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 06:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When I use model color in my airbrush I only thin with the Vallejo thinner, the new clear stuff made to "turn" the model color into AB ready paint. I know other stuff has worked people but I have found this to be my best bet. I add the thinner and some of the golden airbrush medium and I paint at about 15 to 20 psi with little issues.

I've been using Vallejo Airbrush Thinner (71.161) for approximately two weeks now. However, what was missing from the equation was the airbrush medium -- since adding it, my problem has been solved.

Thanks again,
--mike
SnowOwl
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 02:31 PM UTC
Tried again tonight. I reduced the pressure to 25 PSI, and thinned the paint to a 50:50 ratio using my preferred thinner(70% isopronal rubbing alcohol).

The results were MUCH better. No spider camo. The coat was thicker than I would of liked, but I suspect that's more due to my technique and inexperience than anything else.

Funny enough I was having trouble with my brush painting technique, and adding thinning the paint solved those issues as well. Lesson learned, always use thinner!

Thanks everyone, modelling is much for fun now that my painting problems are resolved
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 02:52 PM UTC
If your paint was on the heavy side you can try thinning slightly more and it is also worth practicing on a plastic milk container to get your distance, pressure and speed of movement correct.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 04:19 PM UTC
Happy days, SnowOwl!

Motives
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 444 posts
Armorama: 428 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 06:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tried again tonight. I reduced the pressure to 25 PSI, and thinned the paint to a 50:50 ratio using my preferred thinner(70% isopronal rubbing alcohol).

25 psi is still pretty high, try and drop it down even further.
For testing purposes you can drop it as low as 10 and then work your way up from there.
Typically i work at around 15psi, sometimes down to 12 for close up work.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2014 - 01:14 AM UTC
This might be a non issue but when you set the air pressure to say 18 do it with the airbrush blowing air . If you set the pressure with the airbrush off you will lose about 2 psi when you activate the airbrush , say 18 psi will drop to 16 psi .
 _GOTOTOP