_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Washed winter camo - Smooth edges
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2014 - 03:25 AM UTC
Hey,

I'm really struggling with my Sturer Emil's washed winter camo... How do you get the smooth transition between the base color and the white overlay? I tried the hairspray technique with some airbrush touch-up but really can't get it right.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot!
Cristian
stoney
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 480 posts
Armorama: 399 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2014 - 04:14 AM UTC
Hi Cristian, not really sure what you mean by smooth transition, are you referring to the colour change being to drastic or do you mean the actual coverage between the wash and the base coat having a feathered edge?
if its the colour try using some filters to soften the transition and bring the hue of both colours together.
If you're looking for a worn, chipped appearance I had decent results using salt as a mask before the whitewash, just scrub it off after. Hope any of that helped.
Eric.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2014 - 06:18 AM UTC
Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply!

I mean the edge where the winter wash "meets" the base color. Using the hairspray technique (similar to your salt technique) leaves me with hard edges. I'm kind of looking for a fade-over transition between the two colors, not white => hard edge => panzer grey but more like white => grey white => almost there grey => panzer grey.

Hope this makes more sense
stoney
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 480 posts
Armorama: 399 posts
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2014 - 06:48 AM UTC
ok, gotcha. I'd try out some localized dot filters where you want the subtle transition as well as overall filters to tie everything together a bit. Might want to spray up a test piece first, old project or even some styrene sheet to practice on. Post some pics and Im sure you'll get lots of feedback, good luck!
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2014 - 04:02 PM UTC
I like the dot filter idea a lot! I'll give that one a try.

Thanks a lot, Eric!
 _GOTOTOP