_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Finished M4A3- Pictures Inside
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 151 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 02:59 AM UTC

Comments, please. This is my first AFV and is the first model I've built in about 2 years. Although, needless to say, those built 2 years ago are... much, much worse.

Okay, okay, it isn't overweathered.

The base still isn't done, and there are a few things I still have to fix... 100 points to the man that first picks out the two parts missing correctly.

Be brutal- I don't want to make the same mistakes again.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 03:06 AM UTC
GREAT JOB!!! Gunnie likes

Gunnie
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 03:07 AM UTC
Nick, I don't think it's over weather at all. It a very good looking tank, my first M4A3 I built this year I also thought I over weathered it too. So when I built my M4A1, I did less weathering and I did like the results better. Now I am working on another M4A3, this one is for a diorama and I plan to weather it more than the first one. Again good job Nick.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 03:11 AM UTC
Amigo--nice. Do my eyes deceive me or are your Chevron pattern tracks mounted backwards? If so, "been there, done that."
DJ #:-)
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 03:12 AM UTC
Thanks. I guess I'm just over-critical of myself...
I still have to fix the spare track on the front; just doesn't look right in terms of color.
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 03:32 AM UTC
An excellent effort, Nick! You asked foor brutal criticism, so here goes:
1. No, it isn't over-weathered--looks real good.
2. As noted, the tracks are backwards. If they are vinyl bands, you can probably peel them off and turn them around. That said, however, there are numerous pictures showing vehicles with at least one track on backwards so don't sweat it too much.
3. The spare track: Add some rust to the end connectors and I think you'll be pleased at how it looks.
4. Spare track, part 2: How is it supposed to be secured to the vehicle? Tack-welded, on posts? Forgive me, but it looks like it has no visible means of support. I'm wrestling with this dilemma myself on my Firefly projects; not sure how to attach the stuff so it looks like it has weight to it and suport to hold it in position.
5. Commander's cupola: Try adding some gloss black to pick out the vision slots. I also note that there is no periscope installed in the housing on the hatch. Is that one of the missing parts? :-) Also, I see in the hatch the "dimples" from the ejector pins. Not a big deal, and easy to sand out. Or make a pad from a blob of epoxy putty and cover it up.

How about some more details, Nick? Whose kit, builder's impressions, gripes, etc.? And again, it really looks beautiful so please don't misconstrue my points above. Your model shows obvious attention to assembly detail and solid paint, decal, and weathering work. Two thumbs up!
Greg
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 03:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

An excellent effort, Nick! You asked foor brutal criticism, so here goes:
1. No, it isn't over-weathered--looks real good.
2. As noted, the tracks are backwards. If they are vinyl bands, you can probably peel them off and turn them around. That said, however, there are numerous pictures showing vehicles with at least one track on backwards so don't sweat it too much.
3. The spare track: Add some rust to the end connectors and I think you'll be pleased at how it looks.
4. Spare track, part 2: How is it supposed to be secured to the vehicle? Tack-welded, on posts? Forgive me, but it looks like it has no visible means of support. I'm wrestling with this dilemma myself on my Firefly projects; not sure how to attach the stuff so it looks like it has weight to it and suport to hold it in position.
5. Commander's cupola: Try adding some gloss black to pick out the vision slots. I also note that there is no periscope installed in the housing on the hatch. Is that one of the missing parts? :-) Also, I see in the hatch the "dimples" from the ejector pins. Not a big deal, and easy to sand out. Or make a pad from a blob of epoxy putty and cover it up.

How about some more details, Nick? Whose kit, builder's impressions, gripes, etc.? And again, it really looks beautiful so please don't misconstrue my points above. Your model shows obvious attention to assembly detail and solid paint, decal, and weathering work. Two thumbs up!

Greg

Nick/Greg---the track reversal, I did it once (only once) on an M60A1. The guys were none too happy when we had to break it down and turn it around. Vinyl bands are so much easier. They do not run real well when put on incorrectly. How do you fellows replicate the head rest foam portion of the hatches?
DJ
ps--Greg see your PM, message regarding the Jumbo
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 03:45 AM UTC
DJ-check your mailbox; I sent you my address. Thanks again!

The pads on the hatches--I like to use epoxy putty, just make a small blob of the stuff and form it into a small, round patty. Keep your fingers moist, it helps to keep them from sticking to the putty too much. Stick the putty on to the hatch, use fingers and toothpicks or such to get the shape the way you want, and let it harden. Then paint. I use a similar method for sandbags, and use a wet piece of an old T-shirt pressed into the putty sandbag to give it a cloth texture. Works great.
Greg
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 03:50 AM UTC
Greg--I put together everything I had in my files. Will get it out to you shortly.
DJ
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 03:54 AM UTC
#$%* youre right! Backwards tracks... #:-)

Well, I just threw the spare track on there like on the box, maybe I'll lash it down somehow; Have to take a look at the box art again. Thanks for you're help guys, I'll be taking notes. As for the periscope, nope. It came that way, unless I really missed something along the way... I considered buying a detail set, but just wanted to get it done.
Chief
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 193 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 04:03 AM UTC
Weezey,

Good job Buddy! What kit is that Tamiya? By the way, anybody know just exactly how are those spare tracks held on the front of the Shermans anyway?
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 04:03 AM UTC
Missing periscope...silly thing for kit engineers to miss, but they do. If the kit doesn't have one on the sprue, Verlinden makes a little kit with about a dozen of them in resin. Squadron Shop sells it for about $6. Nice to have in the spares box for times like this. While I'll at it, they also have very nice sets of vehicle stowage (tarps, bedrolls, etc.) for US and Commonwealth vehicles. Highly recommended.
Greg
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 04:58 AM UTC
Looks pretty good! Weezul, if you really think that your Sherman is overweathered, I'll show you my M60A2... heh heh.. that hunk o plastic is a prime example of how not to paint a tank. I looked so bad, I didn't even put the decals on!
Again, good looking Sherman! Got any more pics?

YodaMan
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 05:18 AM UTC
Hi,

Nice work. I hope that one of my Shermans can look like yours but I doubt that I can do a so good job.

Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 05:54 AM UTC
I like it a lot, Weezul! Cool little tank...
It seems this oh-my-god-i-overweathered-it -syndrome is something that has to come out when doing armor the first time. If you think your´s is overweathered, take a look at my Schwimmwagen... #:-)

Look in to my eyessss.....mooorreee mmuuudddd......mmooreee.....duuuuusssstttt.....diirrrtttt.....splaassssshhhh....ruuuuusssttttt......

Toni
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 06:01 AM UTC
Yeah, its the Tamiya M4A3... Nice kit, great parts fit, no real problems. I may take some more pictures tonight...

Thanks a lot guys. :-)
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 06:09 AM UTC
Very Nice :-) :-) . I don't think it's "over-weathered" at all. Actually, it looks great!! Looking forward to the additional pics.

Mike

Spike9077
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 179 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 06:49 AM UTC
Looks fantastic! :-) My first AFV was the Sherman too, and I also thought I over-weathered mine, but now I llok back and see it's not so bad. I don't see any problem with yours either. Hope to see more pics.......I just took some of mine, but I have to develop mine as I don't have a digital camera. Keep up the good work :-) :-) :-) .

Mark
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 06:56 AM UTC
Hey there Weezul. The Sherman looks great !!!!! :-) :-)
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 07:25 AM UTC
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 07:48 AM UTC
I think she looks wonderful Nick! :-)
I certainly don't think you did too much weathering. Looking at reference photos you'll see many pieces of armor in various stages of weather.
If you are ever unsure of how much, start out small, take a pic and study the pic. You can always add more if you think it's not enough. It's easier to add than to remove.
As far as how the spares are attached there are several ways. One which is fairly easy to replicate is the bolt method. You could use a piece of stretched sprue as the bolt. Use a sharp knife to deepen the space between the links other wise it looks as if it's molded as one piece. Than drill a tiny hole between the tread links for the bolt (stretched sprue) to pass through. Use a small drop of glue to simulate the nut on the bolt. These would be attached between the top two links and the other any where near the bottom links. Just as long as the bolts are on the same panel. I have not seen any where the bolts cross over to another panel section.
Hope this helps a bit.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 08:17 AM UTC
Hi!
It´s a wonderful model, really well done!
Keep up the good work!
Cheers
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 08:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

#$%* youre right! Backwards tracks... #:-)

Well, I just threw the spare track on there like on the box, maybe I'll lash it down somehow; Have to take a look at the box art again. Thanks for you're help guys, I'll be taking notes. As for the periscope, nope. It came that way, unless I really missed something along the way... I considered buying a detail set, but just wanted to get it done.

Brother--one step at a time. Perfection is a standard we all pursue but seldom realize. Keep plugging away. Look forward to seeing more photos. By the way, what are you using to do the photography?
DJ
Weezul
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 08:36 AM UTC
Canon S110 Powershot.
Thanks for all the postive comments guys.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 10:11 AM UTC
Yes nice job their guy well done and What 2 parts are missing clue me in I am not to much into shermans
 _GOTOTOP