Hosted by Darren Baker
1/72 Stryker - Mosul Iraq 2004
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 603 posts
Armorama: 575 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 10:25 PM UTC
This model is the Academy kit with Eduard Slat, Legend upgrade with Stowage & DEF sagged wheels.. The suspension is scratched adjusted.

I had to convert the the Slat armour as i bought it for the Trumpeter kit by mistake. Not an easy task but I got there in the end..

Although the slat is a thin flat framed armour, the main frame is a more solid structure on the real deal, something Eduard didn't give their PE set.
So I've also corrected this by adding thin plastic strips to outside frame of the main structure (this also helps it stay in place better)

The figures are a mish-mash of Wee Friends and Preisar with all of them receiving some work or other to improve them.
The two soldiers in the rear have been readjusted from their original casting to show this pose and their weapon barrels have been replaced with thinner scratched ones..

I found a nice road cone in an old Verlinden Airbase set I had. (there were also concrete barriers and other useful in that set for future reference).
I reworked the bottom of the cone and placed it upside down as seen in a lot of reference photos I had.

The base in completely scratch built using plastic card for the path and road sections, built on a clean wooden frame. I used MDP 1/32 bricks to build the corner ruin structure. I used MIG pigments, liquid Resin and sand, mixed with water and brushed over the road section to produce the rough textures. The grass section is an Irish company ALL SCALE MODELS, great products and very easy to use.

The boy is a converted resin figure from REX Miniatures.
I just fabricated a football jersey using cuttings from some old decals.

The model is airbrushed using various home made mixes of Tamiya Acrylics including the weathering effects. Although not very clear in the photos I've used the Colour Modulation method for effect on the Stryker, using 5 separate shades of the same green colour.

The vignette represents the US ARMY's 2nd Infantry Division deployment to Mosul, Iraq during 2004.

I'm not a regular Braille builder but this was so much fun I think I have been converted..

Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 10:28 PM UTC
Roy- how's it going mate?

Cracker of a build you've got there. The slats are nicely done and the stowage looks class. The figures just bring it to life for me- great poses and the civilian brings a nice bit of color into things other than the usual military colors. A well chosen and detailed base too- doesn't overshadow the model and compliments the setting well.
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 05:42 AM UTC
Karl mate how are ya??

Thanks for the detailed and enlightening feedback, I very much appreciate it!

What I'd really like to see is what you could do with a braille kit
Can you be tempted? I'm pretty sure you'd like it, I'm finding the subject really refreshing at the moment, I'm getting pretty hooked if the truth be known..
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skċne, Sweden
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 06:24 AM UTC
Really sweet build, very well done Roy.

Amazing how much detail can be crammed into a model that scale.

Love the slats, and... well, all of it!

Cheers,
Sven

RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 06:33 AM UTC
Sven as usual your comments and contributions always make my day, thank you!
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 09:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Karl mate how are ya??

Thanks for the detailed and enlightening feedback, I very much appreciate it!

What I'd really like to see is what you could do with a braille kit
Can you be tempted? I'm pretty sure you'd like it, I'm finding the subject really refreshing at the moment, I'm getting pretty hooked if the truth be known..

Its been so long since I did anything AFV in 1/72- a Dragon AAV-7 I think was the last one. Not sure I'd get a finish as good as this though. The one big thing I like, potentially, about this scale is the idea of having quite a few vehicles in a fairly small space.
Just wondering-are you bringing this along to the IPMS show?
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 11:22 PM UTC
Very nice! I do like the base. Simple but tells a story.
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 - 04:33 AM UTC
Michael - Thanks for your kind words!

Karl - Yeah mate I'll be bringing this to the show next month. I really think you should consider a braille project. The finish is easier than you think.
I'm looking forward to see what you've got for this show too, any sneaky previews??
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 - 10:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael - Thanks for your kind words!

Karl - Yeah mate I'll be bringing this to the show next month. I really think you should consider a braille project. The finish is easier than you think.
I'm looking forward to see what you've got for this show too, any sneaky previews??

Good stuff- seeing this up close might just get me to buy some 1/72 things! Only one thing for the shows beyond the busts I entered at the IMSS show- its part of the Modern Wheels GB over on the IPMS Ireland forums if you fancy a look.
erhntly
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 09:54 AM UTC
very very nice Roy

cheers

Erhan..
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 04:06 AM UTC
Erhan - Thanks for taking the time to look through these pictures, I really appreciate your kind comments

Karl - The Soviet 4x4 APV looks great over on IPMS Ireland.Thats some detail and weathering, looks really sweet!
I'm really looking forward to seeing this in the flesh in September
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 10:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Erhan - Thanks for taking the time to look through these pictures, I really appreciate your kind comments

Karl - The Soviet 4x4 APV looks great over on IPMS Ireland.Thats some detail and weathering, looks really sweet!
I'm really looking forward to seeing this in the flesh in September

Thanks Roy! Check back there in a couple of days if you want- I should have pictures of the finished scene up by then.
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 11:20 PM UTC
Hard to believe that's 1/72 scale Roy. Great job! I can't even get 1/35 figures looking half as good and wouldn't dream of tackling slat....will we see this also in the flesh next month?
RKinsella
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 02:35 PM UTC
Sean, super kudos, Cheers pal, I'll have this with me for the IPMS gig in sept.

Karl, looking forward to updates soon ;-)
 _GOTOTOP