_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Enhanced photography in online competitions
1721Lancers
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
Armorama: 1,640 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 01:05 AM UTC
Hello,
I have a question and I wish to state my opinion too.
What do you people think about the using photographic image enhancing in online modelling competitions?
I have put this question personally to Keith Forsyth at the beginning of June this year; he said that the matter would be taken up with Jim so a decision could be made.
Well until now there have been no changes to the ruling, and to my knowledge we have had 2 winning builds which have used the so called “HDR technology” to improve the builds shown.

I have always thought this is an online model making forum, I didn't realize that it’s now photography based thing, where the newest photography tricks take the winnings.
So those who don't have the software to do it, well don't enter anymore!
Is that what it’s now all about?
No need to put a nice and clean build together and show an honest paintjob anymore?

As far as I am concerned this should be banned from online competitions. I mean let’s face it, it’s not only cheating on the other entries, you're also cheating on yourself.
You can’t exactly go to a show and put the build on display can you, as someone is going to turn up and say “I've seen something like that before, it was online and looked 100 times better than that” .

I would like to see the ruling changed on this site so that only good honest builds with normal photographs are allowed in. Also anyone trying to enter an enhanced picture should be automatically disqualified.

Cheers

Paul
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 01:24 AM UTC
It's a bit of a slippery slope. The every day cameras that most people have aren't all that good for shooting models, even with decent lighting. Some manipulation is needed to enhance the photos: contrast, white balance and so on which is mostly done by better cameras. So where does the line get drawn as to what are acceptable levels of manipulation? In a similar vein, some modelers have access to better tools, dedicated work space, more cash for after market goodies and so on. Should the rules be modified to level the playing field a la OOB?

The way the monthly contest is set up is a bit problematic in a couple of ways, at least in my view. The first, as you mentioned is if your photography and manipulation skills aren't up to snuff, you're toast no matter how good a model you've built. Secondly, one photo makes it very difficult to best show off your work. And thirdly, the voting system is slightly unbalanced in that you can only give a 1st place vote to one entry. I would personally like to see this changed to a 1st to 3rd vote system. Sorry if these went a little outside the scope of the original post, but I feel they're related and since we're on the topic, might as well get them out there too.

Having said all that, I'll enter when I have something I feel is worth entering and hopefully I'll win something some day. I build basically for my own enjoyment and to pass on tips to others who happen to be following along, so if I don't win, I don't get too bent out of shape about it.

Kimmo
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 01:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would like to see the ruling changed on this site so that only good honest builds with normal photographs are allowed in. Also anyone trying to enter an enhanced picture should be automatically disqualified.

Cheers

Paul

How would you enforce these rules? In other words at what level do you say a model is disqualified? Say the photographic image is a little dark and you lighten it to see more of the detail, would that constitute a ban? How are you going to know if a photo has had any work done on it in the first place.

What's a "good honest build" by the way?

I can see your point of view but struggle to know how you can fairly and effectively enforce it.

Alan
1721Lancers
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 02:04 AM UTC
I am not talking about the light settings on anybodys camera.
We can all adjust them and most know how to, even if it's a film camera.
The photographs I am talking about blatantly show highlighting and colour enhancing that even a blind man could see.
As to the ruling, well I still think it should be added and then anybody could put a veto in when a strange looking pic turns up. The matter could be discussed before the competition carries on.

Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 02:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers

Paul

How would you enforce these rules? In other words at what level do you say a model is disqualified? Say the photographic image is a little dark and you lighten it to see more of the detail, would that constitute a ban? How are you going to know if a photo has had any work done on it in the first place.

What's a "good honest build" by the way?

I can see your point of view but struggle to know how you can fairly and effectively enforce it.

Alan

Well, recently the winning entry had the 'voting' photo enhanced in such way that after rest of the photographs with diorama and which were without the alterations, it looked like another model. Just compare those photos and how the effects, weathering and paintjob look like in 'diorama' and 'standalone' photos. I'm not saying it would not win otherwise but in reality it looks much different than in voting photo.

Now there is a rule stating no figures in an AFV... Sure its easier to enforce as Figures are 0-1 case, black and white, but on the other hand they are indication of modelling skill also, where HDR photos are not.

What if I'd build a basic model, painted it in base colours, photograph, and add all the effects, shading, detail picking with highlights, mud, dust and chipping on one photo in photoshop? Then I enter this one photo for voting, I win, but the rest of my photos are the plain ones, they get posted, wouldn't people that voted it be dissapointed? I bet they would. This is of course extreme exaggeration, but the mechanism is very similar.

I'm not sure if I should state my opinion now as I was also taking part in this recent competition but I'm with Paul on this one.

You ask where is the line... well I think its right there, when the model photograph is so visibly altered, it does not match other photographs, this months winning entry is a clear example. Sure you are free to adjust the contrast and so on, this is also a matter of not having (or having!) professional lighting for your home studio, which you can remedy with software, but thats it. Also in the internet era, photography became part of this hobby, you like it or not. Just the stuff you could possibly do with analog photos while developing them, adjust sharpness and contrast. You cant really make an anlogue HDR photo or if you could it's prbably a few hours in the dark room.

Quoted Text

In a similar vein, some modelers have access to better tools, dedicated work space, more cash for after market goodies and so on. Should the rules be modified to level the playing field a la OOB

Kimmo, IMHO this is also part of the hobby, and part of the build, nobody can asses how much aftermarket goodies those models have, PE is mostly barely visible, still you need to have skill to install it properly and that is how your model is built. It is OK. If you draw this PE stuff in PS, then no it is not ok.

Cheers,
Greg
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 03:06 AM UTC
I'm in with Paul and Greg on this.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 03:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

In a similar vein, some modelers have access to better tools, dedicated work space, more cash for after market goodies and so on. Should the rules be modified to level the playing field a la OOB

Kimmo, IMHO this is also part of the hobby, and part of the build, nobody can asses how much aftermarket goodies those models have, PE is mostly barely visible, still you need to have skill to install it properly and that is how your model is built. It is OK. If you draw this PE stuff in PS, then no it is not ok.

You can get an idea of how much after market is used if you know what the base kit was. And adding anything to the build that wasn't in the kit is after market; be it stowage, ammo, etch whatever. I was trying to make the point that enhanced photography is a presentation skill; if the contest is about the presentation and not the build, then why should enhancement be off limits? If it is about the build, then the contest needs to be re-thought completely.

My camera sucks, no custom settings apart from the presets which don't work well for these kind of pics, ok, one in a thousand shots might turn out close to perfect. I can't afford a better one, but I know I can make slight adjustments to the levels and tweak the sharpness in GIMP or Photoshop to make the picture better and more presentable as if I had used a better quality camera with which you can control these aspects. This is the key to my argument: if you can't take a decent picture with the camera you can afford, you aren't going to get very far. If you don't have a couple hundred to spend on a camera, you are automatically put at a disadvantage and doesn't do anything to encourage people to enter because they know the pictures aren't going to be good enough. Think of it like this; you don't need an airbrush and compressor to achieve a great paint job, so how much you have available to spend for the hobby side is more or less a moot point, it comes down to skill and technique. I look at enhancing as another tool at our disposal these days, and with GIMP, it's absolutely free and available to everyone.

As to how much enhancement is too much, that's like asking how long a piece of string is, or better, how long does a piece of string have to be before it is considered a ball of string?

Kimmo
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 03:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You can get an idea of how much after market is used if you know what the base kit was. And adding anything to the build that wasn't in the kit is after market; be it stowage, ammo, etch whatever. I was trying to make the point that enhanced photography is a presentation skill; if the contest is about the presentation and not the build, then why should enhancement be off limits? If it is about the build, then the contest needs to be re-thought completely.

My camera sucks, no custom settings apart from the presets which don't work well for these kind of pics, ok, one in a thousand shots might turn out close to perfect. I can't afford a better one, but I know I can make slight adjustments to the levels and tweak the sharpness in GIMP or Photoshop to make the picture better and more presentable as if I had used a better quality camera with which you can control these aspects. This is the key to my argument: if you can't take a decent picture with the camera you can afford, you aren't going to get very far. If you don't have a couple hundred to spend on a camera, you are automatically put at a disadvantage and doesn't do anything to encourage people to enter because they know the pictures aren't going to be good enough. Think of it like this; you don't need an airbrush and compressor to achieve a great paint job, so how much you have available to spend for the hobby side is more or less a moot point, it comes down to skill and technique. I look at enhancing as another tool at our disposal these days, and with GIMP, it's absolutely free and available to everyone.

As to how much enhancement is too much, that's like asking how long a piece of string is, or better, how long does a piece of string have to be before it is considered a ball of string?

Kimmo

When its straight it is a string no matter the lenght... and HDR is HDR. Do you know what HDR is and did you saw the photos in the gallery of the entry in discussion?. Do you see the differences between the pictures and how they affect how the model looks or not? Surely the un-HDR-ised photos don't look as if someone took them with a phone without a cam, but they do also show the model as-it-is. HDR is not normal photediting procedure like sharpness or balance. It is a different type of photograph altogether, it is made of three exposures of the same scene with different settings. You dont do this to enhance bad photo, you need three good photos taken on a tripod to make it or use special software. I ask again, do you see the difference?

Maybe we should not have used the word enhancement as I see it is a problem?

Cheers
Greg
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 04:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Kimmo

When its straight it is a string no matter the lenght... and HDR is HDR. Do you know what HDR is and did you saw the photos in the gallery of the entry in discussion?. Do you see the differences between the pictures and how they affect how the model looks or not? Surely the un-HDR-ised photos don't look as if someone took them with a phone without a cam, but they do also show the model as-it-is. HDR is not normal photediting procedure like sharpness or balance. It is a different type of photograph altogether, it is made of three exposures of the same scene with different settings. You dont do this to enhance bad photo, you need three good photos taken on a tripod to make it or use special software. I ask again, do you see the difference?

Maybe we should not have used the word enhancement as I see it is a problem?

Cheers
Greg

Yes I do know what HDR is and I don't see it as an automatic disqualifier, enhancement is still enhancement. Suppose we were still in the film age, if someone could superimpose three separate exposures to achieve the same effect, would that have disqualified them? If yes, why? Because they were more skilled than everyone else? Had access to better darkroom equipment? It won't be long until HDR is included on top end cameras and therefore, will no longer be an enhancement but a feature.

I'll ask again: is this contest about presentation or build? If it's about presentation (which one shot, one vote seems to indicate) I don't see why HDR shouldn't be allowed. I don't see it as cheating, just using what's at your disposal. It's not like the modeler was using images of something that wasn't there or distorted reality, bent reality, sure. Colour shifting, adding contrast is bending reality too.

Technological advances shouldn't be banned simply because nobody else knows how to use them or that they're expensive. Photography as we've known it, is basically dead. Its digital imagery, not photography anymore. Pixels in, pixels out. No more darkrooms and caustic chemicals and waving a circle over the paper to dodge and burn. If you want HDR banned, then we need to ban every single enhancement and set a maximum on how many gigapixels we can use on our cameras to make sure nobody gets an edge that way. Sorry. Digital interpreters of what we see. To me, this really is nothing more than the old "art created on computers is not art" argument applied to what constitutes a photograph.

Kimmo
1721Lancers
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 04:09 AM UTC
Ok this is not about the usage of aftermarket goodies.
So lets drop that point now.
It is wholly about the use of HDR photo changing software.
As Greg and I have said this is changing the whole picture to show something that doesn't exist, and this should be stopped.
HDR is great for getting those arty pics to hang on the wall, but it has nothing to do with plastic kit modelling.

I have this software too, but why should I use it for competitions?
I also posted on another site which has recently shut down, I asked the same question there, and the answer was simple:
"if you need to use HDR, then you are in the wrong game"

So what happens now?
I for one will not enter any more MOMs until this is settled.

Paul

Edit:
Kimmo the only thing you could do with a film camera as a trick was the so called ghost image. Two or three shots of a room with
people being added or removed and not reeling on the film!

This is a different matter, and as already stated it is showing something that doesn't exist.
It is not just a lightened or darkened photo.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 04:31 AM UTC
HDR in photos

Apparently many cameras have it built in when taking photos anyway to make the image better, including camera phones.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 04:35 AM UTC
Technological advances you say, so in the next competition I can enter with 3d generated textured model? hmmm hmmm... contrasting photos and balance shifting helps you see what is there mostly, alleviates lighting insufficiency, HDR in this case is distorting reality, shows what is not there.

Greg
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 04:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

HDR in this case is distorting reality, shows what is not there.

Greg

Is it not showing what is there, just in a better light?

Using the light values within the HDR image to "light" and determine the exposure of the subject rather than the physical ones determined by the exposure settings.
1721Lancers
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 05:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

HDR in this case is distorting reality, shows what is not there.

Greg

Is it not showing what is there, just in a better light?

Using the light values within the HDR image to "light" and determine the exposure of the subject rather than the physical ones determined by the exposure settings.

I think this is the last time I'll say this, HDR imaging is showing something that doesn't exist.
Is that so difficult to accept?
1721Lancers
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 05:41 AM UTC
Here is just a quick natural photo to show that you don't need
to use HDR to change colours:

What colour is this unpainted kit?

The lighter possibly pinkisher colour is the kit colour, but maybe to some of us the darker colour is more the real thing, as it resembles the Academy colour from the 90's.
This picture was taken with the ceiling lights on and the table light too, and taken with a Samsung ES75 camera, which is I believe 3 or 4 years old.
So what arguments are there now for the use of "cheating" software programs?

Paul

Edit:

Thanks John, nice to see an Admin on our side.

Edit #2

Here is the same photo, but this time changed with HDR, without even going into the manual settings, and there is still no paint on it!

Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 06:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Technological advances you say, so in the next competition I can enter with 3d generated textured model? hmmm hmmm... contrasting photos and balance shifting helps you see what is there mostly, alleviates lighting insufficiency, HDR in this case is distorting reality, shows what is not there.

Greg

You're being deliberately obtuse with the 3D comment. So merging 3 different shots with 3 different settings is somehow magically showing something that is not there? As I understood it, HDR allows you to have consistent focus and depth of field and to be able to bring out details that a single shot can't through multiple exposures. You can do it manually in Photoshop and GIMP, though it is hit and miss. The software just simplifies the process. Again, I don't know why you guys are up in arms over this, it's a legitimate technique that improves images without resorting to "airbrushing" blemishes and what not. If using HDR shows a truer reality of what the model looks like, what's the big deal? It's not like the technique is being used to hide glue marks and unfilled seams.

Kimmo
wwtreece
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 06:19 AM UTC
I agree about HDR in online competitions; no. If it's an article or the model's gallery photos, that's fine, but an HDR-enhanced picture of a model makes it appear vastly different from a normally-tweaked (light, contrast, etc.) shot of the same model.

Online Competitions; no HDR.
1721Lancers
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 06:28 AM UTC
Thanks William.

jkb_sprint
Visit this Community
Thessaloniki, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 402 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 06:44 AM UTC
Although i do not participate in competitions, because i do not think i can build a model of the quality needed, i would like to state my opinion. When someone feels the need to use HDR in the first place, he wants to show something that is not there, improve the real thing. So in my book, that is cheating. Paul is right and made a very good point with the pics above. And lets just not forget this is a hobby, something to relax us and enjoy the process and the final result. Using HDR simply ruins that, because you show something you have never built.
1721Lancers
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 06:51 AM UTC
Hi John and thanks for your support.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 06:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Greg

You're being deliberately obtuse with the 3D comment. So merging 3 different shots with 3 different settings is somehow magically showing something that is not there? As I understood it, HDR allows you to have consistent focus and depth of field and to be able to bring out details that a single shot can't through multiple exposures. You can do it manually in Photoshop and GIMP, though it is hit and miss. The software just simplifies the process. Again, I don't know why you guys are up in arms over this, it's a legitimate technique that improves images without resorting to "airbrushing" blemishes and what not. If using HDR shows a truer reality of what the model looks like, what's the big deal? It's not like the technique is being used to hide glue marks and unfilled seams.

Kimmo

Kimmo, there is no depth of field shifting or focus tweaking in HDR processing. Read the article Alan posted above, it calls HDR photos surreal. Now think about what 'surreal' means.

I'll ask again: have you seen the photos in question? Have you seen the poto Paul presented above?

Greg

ps. I'm not 'deliberatly obtuse', whatever you want to mean by that, I'm just trying to get my point across.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 07:38 AM UTC
Yes I read the article, so an extreme example is now what you think HDR is all about? When I first stumbled across HDR it was in relation to insect photography. Macro photography is difficult to do right because of depth of field. The examples shown had 5 different shots merged, and I can assure you it was anything other than surreal. It was in fact something like switching from an old tv to a large screen HD tv. Everything was properly in focus and the depth of field was consistent.

And from the wiki:

Non-HDR cameras take photographs with a limited exposure range, resulting in the loss of detail in bright or dark areas. HDR compensates for this loss of detail by capturing multiple photographs at different exposure levels and combining them to produce a photograph representative of a broader tonal range.

Meaning what I've been trying to get across. If your camera isn't up to snuff, you have to play a balancing act between what you want to show with one exposure. You're not supposed to play with it to make psychedelic pieces of art, unless that's what you want to do.

So again I'll ask:
What is wrong with merging 3 shots of the same subject to best illustrate the highlights, mid tones and shadows? How is this voodoo unacceptable?

Kimmo
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 07:47 AM UTC
I ask n'th time, have you seen the photos in question, and if you did and did compared them to the non HDR versions, do you still think all it did was 'illustrate' the model better and in no way "enriched" some effects while covering some other?
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 08:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I ask n'th time, have you seen the photos in question, and if you did and did compared them to the non HDR versions, do you still think all it did was 'illustrate' the model better and in no way "enriched" some effects while covering some other?

Yes I did, and that's the whole point of any enhancement, to enrich and/or to fade. A very good camera and proper lighting will do this for you. So are we to ban really really good cameras and photographers and lighting set ups? If someone makes a hash of it, that's on them no matter what techniques they use. I'm still not getting a straight answer, or any answer for that matter, from any of you on why it's such a horrible idea to merge photos to make a truer composite if your lighting and camera can't do it with one shot.

Kimmo
Pedro
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 08:30 AM UTC
You answered it yourself, its not 'true' image of the model, it is 'truer'. Very good camera and very good lighting will not fade stuf, it will make any mistakes more visible if anything. You can't make an HDR image using any regular setup available, other than that with HDR preset. I repeat, good camera will not make an HDR or HDR like image. You've seen the photos in question, so you know they were not poor, quite good actually. 'truer' photos are not 'true', not real.
 _GOTOTOP