_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
parts prep
americanpanzer
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 542 posts
Armorama: 539 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 09:02 AM UTC
Is it still necessary to wash styrene parts in soap and water to remove mold-release agents, etc.? been doing it for years; just wondering
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 09:08 AM UTC
Many different thoughts, I don't, I never have any problems.I do prime my models though.
I will however wash resin and white metal parts but never the plastic.i have not found it necesary.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 10:08 AM UTC
I have built two kits that needed to be washed and weren't. Glue and paint fiasco. Better to be safe than sorry.
M4A3E8Easy8
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 302 posts
Armorama: 300 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 01:11 PM UTC
I never wash parts, however I always wash the finished model before paint. My logic is why try to remove oils then touch the model while building it. Of course I do not prime but do peshades. I wash to skip the prime just to keep another layer of paint off the model. Just my way and by no means the only way.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 01:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I never wash parts, however I always wash the finished model before paint. My logic is why try to remove oils then touch the model while building it. Of course I do not prime but do peshades. I wash to skip the prime just to keep another layer of paint off the model. Just my way and by no means the only way.

If there are any mold release oils, glue and cement will not adhere. I ruined a Shilka, because I failed to wash it first.
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Armorama: 735 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 07:39 PM UTC
Any recourse when you realize too late that you didn't wash it well enough?
I made my own mold and cast some resin copies. Before painting, I washed them in dish soap with a cloth, but probably should have really scrubbed with a toothbrush or something, and maybe followed with rubbing alcohol.
My first indication was when the flat gray primer stayed tacky and shiny instead.
Primed but bleed-thru oil appeared by windysean, on Flickr

In any case, where do I go from here? I wiped lightly with mineral spirits, and that rubbed off some of the paint, but I don't think it affected the base oils/chemicals. I'm letting it sit for a few days (weeks?), as I had a similar mishap when I painted with artist oils once, and the paint never set.
It being July in Wisconsin, the humidity is super-high also.
Any thoughts from the crowd here?
thanks in advance,
Sean H.
long123
Visit this Community
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 12:00 PM UTC
I will however wash resin and white metal parts but never the plastic.i have not found it necesary.
 _GOTOTOP