_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Best color for Russian Armor Green
Frontovik
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 02:14 PM UTC
I am new to the group and am starting to get serious with modeling Russian Armor. I am trading in my Tamiya OD2 cans for an airbrush and was curious in getting input on the best green available in a bottle. Bal'shoe Spasiba Tovarishi!...Bill Gibbs
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,876 posts
Armorama: 1,120 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 03:22 PM UTC
Hi Frontovik and welcome to the #1 site on the WWW. I found that Model Masters acrylic #4807 Russian Armor Green worked very well. Have fun here!
nfafan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 04:04 PM UTC
Actually - and this is heresy to most - but the Russians tended to worry about bigger issues at stake, so they weren't all that picky about the shades of dark green they used. Some were lighter, some were darker, some were browner.
In days of old, Floquill's Pullman Green worked well, as did Tamiya's Dark Green. If modeling multiple Russian vehicles, its probably a good thing that the shades vary between vehicles.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
Armorama: 727 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 04:08 PM UTC
Model MAster enamel "Russian Armor Green", or I used just plain Model Master enamel "Dark Green" and that looked pretty good. I used it on my T-34.

~Chip :-)
Pnzr-Cmdr
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 483 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 05:11 PM UTC
it take a more in depth approach to russian armor and it's color.. with monotone schemes you really want to bring out the detail with more than one shade.
i'll tell you my approach to getting a good russian armor finish.

start off with a basecoat of Tamiya Black green XF-27
once this has dried go over it with a coat of MM acrylic Russian Armor Green #4807 just mist over the model with this.
once this has dried take a slighty lightened coat of the MM Russian Armor Green and add some Tamiya flat white XF-2 dry brush over your model with this
then mist over some tamiya buff XF-57 over the enitre model. apply more to the lower hull and wheels areas b/c russian armor tends to get very muddy.
add a few washes of burnt and raw umber.. i wash the enitre model, not just some parts.

you can then further weather the model to your liking I.E. with pastels to get rust streaks and what not.

here is a pic of my T-34/85 in which i used this method

i add lots of pastel work to mine with various browns and light brown orange mixes.
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 833 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 06:21 PM UTC
I tend to agree with nfafan. It was pretty much the "color of the day". I woulden't worry too much about the accuracy.
Frontovik
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 03:06 AM UTC
Bal'shoe Spasiba! You suggestions have been very helpful. Has anyone been to this site.? I found it through GPW reenacting. It has some great photos under the tank sections. http://www.battlefield.ru I have some shots of T-34/85s taken at an event this past October. I couldn't figure out how to embed them so I will post them on the gallery site.....Paka!...Bill Gibbs
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 398 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 08:59 AM UTC
i personally think that tamiya j.a. green is a close match to the green used by the soviet army.....thx larry
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 09:07 AM UTC
Ola People

What I did when I painted my T34/85 I mixed Humbrol 116 with a couple of drops of Dessert Yellow this makes the green a bit lighter and gives it at the same time a bit dusty effect

_GOTOTOP