_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
mowen16818
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 - 08:19 AM UTC
I am new to the hobby. I have been following it for years and want to get my feet wet. I need advice about everything from airbrush, paint selection, supplies, models, etc.. I basically need a mentor to help guide me in this venture. Look forward to hearing from all of you and your input. Thanks in advance! Oh, I served several years in the Marine Corps and am currently a nurse working at the VA.
gilbertsakr
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 01:30 AM UTC

hi Mike,

welcome to the world of modelling and to the modelling community

it is always a pleasure to see people joining the world of modelling

art is the most intense form of individualism

everyone can build models, some just don’t know it yet

i will lead you thru step by step all the way thru

on models:
always chose a subject that motivates you

on tools:
buy the very basic tools required to assemble a model, and note that expensive is not always a good choice
While in assembly stage try and assemble all parts as individual parts this way the model will have a more realistic appearance - this is called scratch building or additives such as PE and other resin after-market parts which enhance the shape and final appearance of a model and will give you a final satisfactory result

on paint:
there are several types of paint
1. acrylic
2. enamel
3. oil paint

there are many paint making companies
1. tamiya
2. vallejo
3. mig
4. model master
5. life color
and many many more

start with acrylics
isolate with a layer of thin varnish
weather with oils and enamels

on airbrush:
start with Tamiya 74520 Spray-Work Basic Air Compressor w/Airbrush ms
then move to Tamiya No.41 Spray-Work HG Compressor Revo II (with HG Airbrush III) 74541
both are great

on weathering, dusting, chipping, rusting and tare and ware
always use common sense and apply imitation of the real life processes of weathering
i.e.
1. prime the model with a dark color, and apply some red and metallic patches if you intend to scratch it and give a chipping effect later on
2. paint the model with hair spray or chipping fluids
3. paint the model with the base color
4. chip the model with tools or brush
5. apply rust effects
6. apply dust effects using real thin dust from nature or modelling products

Ty to work on a few cheap models first in order to get the feel of modeling and master/develop your techniques to a self-satisfactory level

Let me know if you require additional clarifications and I will be more than glad to assist you

Shalom
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 02:35 AM UTC
Glad you're on board, Mike! You've picked an excellent site for info, advice, constructive critiques, and just generally good people. First off, we should narrow down your interests in modeling. What kinds of models, armor, figures, ships, or even (gasp) things with wings?? Next, what time periods, Civil War, World Wars, Desert Storm, modern?? Folks on this site will give you all the help you need, but a better idea of what you like, or want to try will get a more focused response.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 668 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 09:31 PM UTC
Welcome sir , and don't volunteer for KP .
 _GOTOTOP