_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Basic Paint Question
gtasolid
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 - 04:04 PM UTC
I'm returning back to modeling after many years. Ive always preferred WW II allied armor and I'm almost finished building an M4A3 Sherman. I need a refresher course on what brand/type of paints to use as well as the sequence of steps.....do I prime it, how much should I thin the paint for air brush use. I have both a single and double action airbrush but haven't used them for 10+ years. Appreciate any advice as I'd love to get back into this great hobby. Thanks
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 521 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 - 04:22 PM UTC
Pick a model and start the build , if you have any problems or in doubt then ask . You have built models before so it will all come back to you . Remember just don't argue with your self .
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 - 08:58 PM UTC
You should also check paint4models.com. I prefer Tamiya paint for WWII German and modern armor. However, Vallejo and MM enamels have a better selection(particularly od). As far as Tamiya goes, I mix olive drab, khaki and khaki drab to achieve the correct olive drab for US Olive Drab. Tamiya should also have the correct color for British armor. Russian I am unsure of. I always prime my models with self etching primer. I thin my paints 1:1(p:t), for general painting and 1:2(p:t) for filters.
M4A3E8Easy8
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 302 posts
Armorama: 300 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 - 09:31 PM UTC
I would also suggest you look at the finishing and weathering sequence thread in this forum. It is a great place to start learning how to weather. I will say having taken a break for a few years and coming back things have changed ALOT and for the better. MUCH BETTER! The internet and the great people here can help with pretty much anything.
gtasolid
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 - 02:45 AM UTC
Thanks guys. This is a big help. I'll post u on my progress and possibly even post a picture of the finished product. Much appreciated.
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 - 03:36 AM UTC
The real question is what do you have available to you? Priming is never a bad idea. It helps the paint adhere better and helps you find surface flaws. I use Mr. Surfacer 1000 thinned 50/50 with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner. For airbrushing, I use Tamiya acrylics thinned 50/50 with their own lacquer thinner, which works the best, or their acrylic thinner.
 _GOTOTOP