Armor/AFV: Braille Scale
1/72 and 1/76 Scale Armor and AFVs.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dragon Elefant
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 05:35 PM UTC
I'm at about the 90% completion level with this little tank destroyer. I started to mess with the tracks. The Dragon kit comes with black vinyl tracks that do not have any pins and holes to connect. The only way to connect them is to use CA. Once I got the tracks together, I slipped them over the running gear. The Dragon tracks are way too loose. No way to adjust the drive sprockets outward to make up the slack. Even with the top run tied down to the top of the road wheels, the tracks are still too loose.

I did notice on the photos of the completed kit, that they must have all had the same problem. The photos show their kit with the track barely touching the drive sprockets.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 05:47 AM UTC
Rob,

The Dragon 1/72's are a strange mix of good and horrible. I think they have really gone for the wargamer market more than the serious modeler.

It's odd that a company who's 1/35 stuff always has link tracks would put rubber bands in the small stuff. And, I usually prefer the Dragon 1/35 over Tamiya mostly due to the Dragon tracks (price is good too).

Dragon is marketing these new 1/72 as the most detailed kits ever. Well, I think they have a ways to go before that happens.

Post a photo of the kit as I'd like to see it.

Steve
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 05:52 AM UTC
I'd like to see the pic too - I got one for XMAS. Neat looking in the box...

Gunnie
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 07:06 AM UTC
Will do. While the vinyl track does have some of the finest detail on a set of 1/72-1/76 scale tracks I have ever seen, too bad the are a tad too long.

The jury's still out on the new photo directions. Some of the parts are difficult to locate in place on the photos. Also included in the Elefant are a pair of head lights that are unlisted in the assembly instructions. There are also two slots for the headlights that I guess should have been puttied over.

An AMPS member had his Ferdinand and we compared sprues, just a couple of different parts. The new cupola on the Elefant requires the removal of the old style hatch's rim. This isn't pointed out either.

I was basically building the Revell Panther at the same time and I think the quality of the Revell kits is superior.

Some photos will be posted as soon as Jim announces it is OK.
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 10:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Rob,

The Dragon 1/72's are a strange mix of good and horrible. I think they have really gone for the wargamer market more than the serious modeler.

It's odd that a company who's 1/35 stuff always has link tracks would put rubber bands in the small stuff. And, I usually prefer the Dragon 1/35 over Tamiya mostly due to the Dragon tracks (price is good too).

Dragon is marketing these new 1/72 as the most detailed kits ever. Well, I think they have a ways to go before that happens.

Post a photo of the kit as I'd like to see it.

Steve

I second your opinion. After all of the hype and the Dragon name, I was expecting something that would be a demonstratable improvement on the old ESCI. That had a full interior and could have the hatches posed open. A good couple of kits, but something of a disapointment.
 _GOTOTOP