VAB Revalorise - Ok for Afghanistan
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 - 05:18 PM UTC
Hi all,

I have had the beautiful Blast Models VAB 4x4 Revalorise conversion (35006K) in my possession for many years, and now wonder if this would be a suitable base for a VAB currently serving in Afghanistan.

Since the conversion was released long before the action in Afghanistan was initiated, I known that there are several details that have changed (wheels, weapon stations etc), but is the additional armour represented by this conversion correct for a vehicle serving in Afghanistan?

Has the interior of the VAB changed recently, or are the Blast interior sets still OK for Afghanistan vehicles?

Thanks in advance.
Sven
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 - 05:42 PM UTC
Sven,
the basic answer is yes to your questions.
The Blast conversion out of the box will perfectly represent an early deployed VAB as well as a late serving one.
Then it is up to you to depict a specific vehicle with the M151 RWS for instance or the removal of the waterjets.
One thing you should consider though is the roof large stowing basket as it was quite common once it was introduced.
Concerning the wheels, Blast also have the latest types but they could be hard to find since Blast still haven't resume their activity.
A valid option is Djiti's production set.

Olivier
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 - 05:51 PM UTC
Hello Olivier,

Many thanks for your very fast answer, that is great news. I was looking in my VAB box and discovered that I have purchased the latest Blast wheels, VAB TOP conversion, stowage basket, antenna mount (the frame that crosses the width of the roof with various antenas mounted) etc, so I guess I am good to go? :-)

I don't have the extra armour shields for the rear hatches, or the "porcupine" antenna, though. Perhahps I need to try and get those when Blast is up and running again?

Thanks again.
Sven
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 - 11:56 PM UTC
Try to get some pcitures of VAB deployed in Afghanistan and you'll see that not all of them got the rear hatches shields. The same applies for the porcupine IED jammer.
There were many differnet combinations so the better is to model a specific vehicle from a picture.
With all you already have in the box, you're really good for a start.
Please share pics of your work
Olivier
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 - 01:18 AM UTC
Thank you again, Olivier!

I will make sure to post pics, but it will probably take a while before this one starts (my dreams tend to start a long time before the actual build haha). I have also been waiting to see if someone will release a new VAB so I don't have to struggle with the Heller kit. No such luck so far, but - then again - the version I want to build doesn't use many of the Heller parts anyway :-)

Cheers,
Sven
rogerjo1
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 950 posts
Armorama: 905 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 - 04:24 AM UTC
Hi Sven, with the extra armour sheild, do you mean this one:
Blast models BL 35144K protection Arriere & cal 50 vab Afghanistan? It's a sheild around the 2 rear hatches with a 50 cal machine gun!
If so, i have one i dont need as i have sold my blast Vab conversion...

Du kan få den av mig om du vill ha den, jag behöver den inte ändå så skicka mig din adress så skickar jag den till dig en dag
Roger
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 - 05:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's a sheild around the 2 rear hatches with a 50 cal machine gun!

I've got a picture of the 1:1 VAB fitted with this add-on armor : the shields come from a Humvee turret

H.P.
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 - 06:26 AM UTC
Hello Roger!

That's the one.

That is very kind of you, your offer is accepted but I will be more that happy to pay for it. I'll message you :-)

H.P. : that's interesting, I did not realize that the parts came from a Humvee. Would be possible to see the pic you mentioned?

Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 - 06:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would be possible to see the pic you mentioned?

Hi Sven

It would be easier for me to send it to you directly Just PM me your email adress.

H.P.
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2014 - 06:57 AM UTC
PM on its way, H.P. :-)
 _GOTOTOP