_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Someone should have told me...
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 02:18 AM UTC
Yesterday made my first attempt at airbrushing. Hooked up my compressor through my water trap. Took my Badger 150 airbrush out of it's box and connected the supplied hose to it per the included instructions. Filled and attached paint bottle. Turned on my exhaust fan for my spray booth. Put on my face mask. Got my test piece of model in place to experiment on. Push the button down on the airbrush and nothing much happened. Some paint came splattering out on my finger tips but no paint hit my test piece. Adjusted spray setting at the back of the brush and same results. Looked at instructions again and then noticed that the airbrush came with a protective cover. I removed the cover (now well coated with paint) and as the French would say: Erueka! Paint went where I pointed the air brush. The rest went pretty well and I actually painted what I was hoping to. Later I related this episode to my wife and she was very supportive. Her comment was: Maybe you should have read the instructions more carefully. Live and learn.
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
Armorama: 454 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 02:52 AM UTC
This happened to me with my Paasche VL series..Glad Im not alone
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 03:53 AM UTC
To borrow a phrase from the poet Homer, "DOH!" #:-)
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 04:38 AM UTC
It comes with Instructions?
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 07:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It comes with Instructions?

To quote Calvin: "Insructions are for sissies!"
justchris
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 08:18 AM UTC
hi, for me it's a testor aztec 470 present from my sister of christmas 1999, because i started scale modelling. I tired it for the first time next week on the first dio i'am doing (a bunker in the steppe). I just thought airbrushing was hard and i did research about the way to use it for several days before to try. I bought books look for website on it etc....
After e few practice i find airbrushing really cool not just for scale modelling.
Happy new year to all
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
Armorama: 157 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 08:44 AM UTC
Nice to know that I'm not the only one who's done that!!!! #:-)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 12:50 PM UTC
A while back I posted how much better my Aztec brush painted once I put the nozzle in. DOH! I'm sure something similar has happened to most of us here. Don't worry about it. Wives just don't get it, real men don't read instructions.
dman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 64 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 02:38 PM UTC
I've managed to poke a nice hole into the tip of my finger due to stupidity.

When I got my new Paasche VL airbrush, I first went over to a friends house and saw him use his. Part of the cleaning up of the airbrush consisted of covering the nozzle with your finger, to create a back-pressure. Little did I know that the needle he had in his was different than the needle I had in my nozzle. His needle didn't stick out of the nozzle, mine did. I didn't notice, and tightly clasped my finger on the nozzle. "OUCH!"

Needless to say, when we've got a new toy to play with, common sense often goes out the window.
 _GOTOTOP