_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Large Scale
Dioramas with large scale (1/16 plus) subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
First serious attempt at vignette.
Molentik
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 07:00 AM UTC
Hello dear modellers, here is my first serious attempt at a vignette for one of my 1/6 figures. I would very much like some feedback on where to improve this vignette, or things to consider for my next vignettes.

I know my photography isn't that good but I'm working on it

One with flash;

And one with my (wip) figure to show scale;

Thanks for watching and please leave your comments!

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 08:10 AM UTC

Hi Robbert,

while the MG42 and gunner look fine and realistic, the grass tufts unfortunately don't! They are all nearly identical in diameter and evenly spaced like in a rice paddy! In nature, this is not happening!!

Moreover, the "soil" looks too much like fine aquarium sand!

Sorry, but this scale is not forgiving at all!

Cheers

Romain

Molentik
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 10:49 PM UTC
Thank you Romain!

As you said, this scale is indeed very unforgiving! Things you can sort of get away with in lets say 1/35 you can't in 1/6.

I agree on the unrealistic nature of the tufts of long grass, I had a lot of trouble getting it to stand up properly, let alone in a realistic nature. Do you (or somebody else) have any tricks or tips how to tackle this problem next time?

And could you explain what you mean with your comment about the 'soil'? Did you mean the sand on the 'road' or the dark soil between the grass? And again, any tips on how I could improve this?

Thanks for your comments and I'm looking forward to more!

&:)
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2014 - 12:09 AM UTC

You're most welcome Robbert!

Difficulties to get the tufts standing upright may come from the fact that the soil part is not thick enough.

The main problem is the even spacing of the tufts, a thing our brain does automatically....but nature doesn't! Insert another tuft inbetween existing ones, vary the height, forget about the totally uniform cream colour and generally...avoid deep contrasts on a reduced space!
That should also solve one of the "soil problems".

The other soil problem is the uniformity of the material in the front section! Way too uniform to be natural!

And watch out for evenly spaced elements.....not natural, remember!!

As for the colour, it should perhaps not be Zandvoort, so go out and take some real soil...sift it BUT use all of it (just varied in places) instead of aquarium sand! If you happen to have another tiny scrap of root...

The "terrain" on your stand is simply too flat (and a tad too small in diameter). You could just as well have chosen asphalt o.s.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Romain

_GOTOTOP