Hosted by Darren Baker
Maybe I am biased ...
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 11:15 AM UTC
Like many AFV modellers, I have an interest in WWII German subjects. However, I do feel that certain manufacturers are 'playing it safe' by releasing endless variants of Panzer Tanks/SPGs etc. I also see evidence of this in 1/35 scale.
In small-scale particularly, there is a notable absence of post-war British subjects. Often, we have to resort to wrestling with ancient Airfix kits, which really are not up to current standards. True, many of this company's recent releases are much better. I just wonder how long we have to wait for a decent kit of the Scimitar/Scorpion, Chieftain or Centurion. Of course there are resin/white metal versions out there, but surely there would be sufficient interest for someone like Revell, Dragon or Trumpeter to consider this at some point soon.
nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 622 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 12:41 PM UTC
I see the same but, also the opposite at the same time. I would like to see the various version's of the Cadillac Gage V series and the M1174. Also, would like to see more figures released. Zvezda has been hitting this area hard of late. I don't see Dragon or Revell doing anything anytime soon.
Charlie
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 412 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 01:07 PM UTC
This is true. As you are from the other side of the pond, perhaps you can also appreciate my frustration over the fact that no small-scale manufacturer (as far as I am aware) offers the M47 Patton or the M88. Yes, Roco Minitanks produced both of these many years ago. Unfortunately, they were in 1/87 scale and were not particularly well-detailed at all.
nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 01:30 PM UTC
I sure can. My only contact with an M47 was Testor's 1/35 version that had accuracy problems. I would also like an M7 Priest even though I'm a wheeled vehicle person.
Charlie
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 02:11 PM UTC
Could not agree more.

All the big manufacturers do this whether it is aircraft, armour or ships.

i have lost count of the endless variations of Me109's, Tiger I's and Panthers released.

Still hoping for more new mould non US allied armour.
nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 02:22 PM UTC
I dunno, once I get paid, I'm getting Model Miniatures VAB with type 2 wheels. Yes, I know that it is resin but, I is better that the old Heller Kit. Also, I hope someone will produce a Caeser Sherpa or South African G6 Rhino.
Charlie
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 07:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Could not agree more.

All the big manufacturers do this whether it is aircraft, armour or ships.

i have lost count of the endless variations of Me109's, Tiger I's and Panthers released.

Still hoping for more new mould non US allied armour.

HERE, HERE!!! I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!! I'm very much into 1/48 Aircraft and 1/35 US/Allied AFVs. I'm sick to death of the endless DRAGON Tiger Is, Pz.IIIs/StuG IIIs, and re-pops of GERMAN figure kits. In 1/48, the same is true with Bf.109s. NO amount of pleading and/or hectoring the model manufacturers brings any results. We've been needing a 1/35 "state of the art" US M8 HMC (Howitzer Motor Carriage) M3-series Stuarts and M3 Lee/Grants for a long time now. I'm not pleased with ACADEMY's Stuarts or Lee/Grants at all- ACADEMY could have done much better, especially with the Stuarts. You have to go out and buy AFV CLUB Suspension kits to correct that poorly executed ACADEMY suspension, and both the bottom and upper hulls need to be replaced with either TMD or FORMATIONS hulls.

AFV CLUB pulled the rug right out from underneath us when they "disappeared" their "soon" M8 HMC. OK, so TMD makes an M8 HMC resin conversion kit to fit the AFV CLUB M5A1 kits, but not every modeller wants to shell out that kind of money. The TAMIYA M8 HMC should have been completely re-done years ago, with entirely new tooling, but I don't think they'll ever do it...

I've griped about this enough times on this site...
philmmusic
Visit this Community
Solothurn, Switzerland
KitMaker: 70 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2014 - 12:37 AM UTC
For the AFV Club M8 HMC I remember seeing that back around 5 or 6 years already..."soon"
M4A1Sherman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 4,403 posts
Armorama: 4,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2014 - 05:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For the AFV Club M8 HMC I remember seeing that back around 5 or 6 years already..."soon"

I'm still pretty angry over the "fast one" that AFV CLUB pulled on us over that M8 HMC. Nothing like getting our hopes up for a long-anticipated kit, only to have it cancelled!
chrisgrove
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 10:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is true. As you are from the other side of the pond, perhaps you can also appreciate my frustration over the fact that no small-scale manufacturer (as far as I am aware) offers the M47 Patton or the M88. Yes, Roco Minitanks produced both of these many years ago. Unfortunately, they were in 1/87 scale and were not particularly well-detailed at all.

There was an Italian company who produced an M47 years ago (in Braille Scale) - Polystil?? Something like that. Currently the only one I know of is Model Miniature who sell a resin M47. However, having wrestled with it, I can recommend you all to buy the Trumpeter M46 for the hull and trackwork - you need to modify the glacis and, if you can be bothered, the track (change from steel shoes to rubber), but the M-M turret is not bad and in 1/72 scale. Can't help with the M88 I'm afraid.

Chris
nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 05, 2014 - 02:43 PM UTC
We braillers have some most excellent news. Dragon just announced the Atomic Annie under their Black Label line due out in November. A little too old for my genre.
Charlie
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 06, 2014 - 02:44 AM UTC
Well, something completely different, and from way out in left field. And something Dragon can't use the same molds for a dozen variants - very daring! On the other side of the coin, it's the dreaded "Black Label" name.
 _GOTOTOP