_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Weighted hulls
Babva
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 141 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 05:08 AM UTC
Would like to know how many people add weight to their hulls?

Thanks in advance,Jim
turrettoad13
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 490 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 07:03 AM UTC
I'm guesing that you mean making the tank or AFVs suspension moves as it travels over land such as hills ? The way that I try to do this is to decide how to pose the tank and what it will take to make it happen . A tank such as Tamiyas M-26 Pearshing the suspension is workable , so it simulates the weight of the tank as this pic shows

As for some other tanks they require a bit of surgery . I will use the Tamiya M-41 Walker bulldog for this example . The suspension is molded to the hull , so I cut the old one away and re-placed it with the AFV club running gear . It is a good idea to have the base formed to get the tank to pose right before gluing the suspension .

Hope this helps
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 07:11 AM UTC
If you want to add a little weight without the whole suspension modifications, I've used rolls of pennies glued to the inside of the hull. I didn't see a lot of advantage to doing that.
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 842 posts
Armorama: 607 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 07:12 AM UTC
I do. Lead fishing weights.Glue gun. I also add weight to the turret.
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 11:05 AM UTC
I have thought about adding weight, however most tank kits do not have suspensions that can be articulated. I have considered removing the "keys" on ther road wheel arms so that I can postion the suspension to match the terrain. To accomplish I use slow setting tube glue and push doen on the hull to position the suspension to match the terrain, and then let it dry. Hope this helps.

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP