_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Q: Live Resin SAG turret and Humvee wheels
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 - 07:49 PM UTC
I am full of questions today :-)

Here's another one.

I purchased a couple of Live Resin items the other day and as usual they are beautiful items. However, they have me slightly baffled, so perhaps someone can help.

First up, the SAG turret: this thing looks fantastic, and I have seen it mounted on various models (built by Live Resin themselves): MATV's, M1151's etc. However, I don't seem to be able to find any pics of the real vehicles with this turret, other than the M1113-based special forces DMV. Is this the only type of vehicle using this turret to date? I would love to put one on my Panda MATV, but am concerned about authenticity.

Secondly, the gorgeous Humvee wheel set. My only confusion here is that I can't see if these tires are bulged or not. If they are, its very subtle and I can't see it. My question to anyone who has these: are the road tires bulged, and if so, are they bulged in the same position on all of the tires (which would be a shame - these things are truly a work of art).

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Sven
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 - 12:59 AM UTC
Hello Sven!

The S.A.G. turret is only in use by Special Forces on their GMV's.

My Live Resin HMMWV tires are not bulged. Having said that, I would not let that effect your decision about using the tire set. There is entirely too much emphasis placed on bulging tires.
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 - 02:20 AM UTC
Hi Brent,

Thanks for your very kind answer.

It a shame that the turret is only used on the SF GMV's, but that could also be a fun project for the future.

Regarding the wheels, I am almost happy to hear that they are not bulged. I was more concerned about the possibility that a bulge was there at the molding gate points, in which case all the wheels would be the identical.

Cheers,
Sven
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 - 02:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was more concerned about the possibility that a bulge was there at the molding gate points, in which case all the wheels would be the identical.

If all gate points are in the same spot, you need to put them on the ground and you end up with identical wheels anyway... At least theoretically - I have not seen the Live Resin wheels.
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 - 04:05 AM UTC
Hello Pawel,

The gating point are not one large block, but rather a number of "thin rods" attached to the wheel. Easy to remove, the tread is not damaged as a result. Ingenious solution.
 _GOTOTOP