_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Airfix: Quick Build from AirFix
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 - 03:59 AM UTC

AirFix has started a new line that should appeal to the younger modeller and hopefully build their interest in models generally. This new line is in a similar vein to the famous Danish plastic brick manufacturer.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 - 05:20 AM UTC
This line has been started in 2013, if not earlier. But the tank and car sets are new. I have four of the aircraft sets. The quality of bricks and instructions is FAR worse than Lego. Bricks don't fit particularly well and instructions are difficult to understand, particularly for kids. But it is still fun.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 - 08:11 AM UTC
Thank you for the feedback Pawel, I was not aware how long these have been available as it was the Abrams offering that brought these to my attention.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 - 11:51 AM UTC
Clever idea. I hope it is a big hit!
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 - 12:23 PM UTC
Maybe the Challenger is a sign it's still on their radar to add to their modern 1/48th Range .... maybe ... hopefully lol
Scouteyes
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 - 03:24 PM UTC
So it starts out like a Lego, but builds up into a reasonably realistic model? That seems like exactly what is needed to motivate younger people to take up the hobby. The original snap-together kits had a similar strategy; they were marketed to people who just wanted to build a reasonably detailed kit, without need of glue, craft skills,etc. Some of those people stuck with it and became die-hard modelers.I've seen and assembled many of the popular Lego, PlayMobil, etc. kits, and they are almost as complicated as any modern model kit. No glue, no PE, I know, but still pretty intense. When they're done, the result is a blocky, ziggurat structure with squashed, dwarven figures that kind of looks like the house, plane, ship from the movie, TV show, comic, but not really. I'm sure there are many kids who want more realism, but all they see are those crude block kits from the aforementioned companies. If done well,this could bridge the gap from block kits to scale modeling.
 _GOTOTOP