Who is who in Ukraine
davidg
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 - 05:29 AM UTC
Hello all
I am currently building a T-64BV and have looked at many pictures and videos of current Ukraine conflict trying to figure out who is who. A lot of captions for pictures and vids are either in Russian or Ukrainian so I am at a loss for what they say. How are the tanks marked for each side? I have seen some with painted white strips or bright green painted track guards or era bricks painted white or some with yellow /blue flag and some with black and red flags on aerials and finally some with no markings at all. There are also a lot of burnt out hulk pictures on which very few markings can be made out. Can anyone help out with some advice on who is who? Not really sure what side I want to model yet just getting info right now
Thanks
Dave
Pytagoras
Visit this Community
Møre og Romsdal, Norway
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 - 06:16 AM UTC
The Ukraine Army paint vehicles deployed to the "ATO" in white stripes and fly the Ukraine national flag (Blue and Yellow). Some of the more nationalistic volunteer battalions use the flag of the WW2 Ukrainian Insurgent Army (Red and Black).

The rebels/Russians use a wide variety of flags according to whatever ethnic group from Russia they belong to. Among these are Cossack, Chechen and Ossetians. The two self declared republics also sport their own flags, in addition to the rebel flag of Novorossiya, which is quite similar to the US Confederate Flag.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 - 06:16 AM UTC
Here's the Ukrainian flag

and here are two examples of Pro-Russian flags :

Of course, many Pro-Russian AFV's sport the Russian flag :

H.P.
 _GOTOTOP