_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
AMX-13/75
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 09:24 AM UTC
I've got this Heller kit that comes with 4 SS-11 missiles. It looks to be a nice kit. The kit comes with Israeli markings. Does anyone have any good info on the Israeli's use of this tank? Is it still in use or put out to pasture?

Also has anyone tackled the Heller AMX-13/75?

I found a neat website that has some good photos of the missile armed AMX-13/75.
E23C
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 10:55 AM UTC
The info I have on the AMX13 is that after the 1967 War it was on its way out of Israeli service.This info came from Tanks Illustrated #3 "Israeli Tanks and combat vehicles" by Steve Zaloga,which was published in 1983,

Thats all I have
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Armorama: 658 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 09:35 PM UTC
Sabot,

The SS-11 version is French, if I recall correctly. The Israelis used the AMX-13 in large numbers in the '68 war, though it was starting to suffer heavy loses due to thin armor and 75mm main gun. It was relegated to recon units by the'73 war. I also believe it now sits only in Israeli Armor museums.

Jeff
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 12:47 AM UTC
The AMX 13/75 was bought by Israel in 1951(according to the Israeli set tsahal b'chailo). It was painted the standard dark OD until the change in color to the sand tone in the early sixties. The vehicle was again used In combat during the Six Day War of 1967. During the war its deficiencies were hard to overlook and it was pulled from service, with vehicles like the Patton and Centurion taking its place. The ss-11 missles However were mounted on halftrtacks and used in ther anti tank role With by all accounts less than stellar results. John Myska has recently done an article on this and other HT variant in military modelling. BTW the 75mm gun of the amx was a knockoff of the panther gun and would continue to serve on in the M50 sherman

What i remember most about building the Kit was the extreme tention to the tracks . I think I even broke one rear Idler off and had to repair it. If you doing anisraeli version watch the Light layout they are bit different with minor location changes.

I've got another one sitting in the closet waiting for some Line drawings or scmatics with dimensions for the MK62 105 mm SP variant used by theI srelis and indonesia.Anyone? any way check out the IDF modelling site for some pics let us know if you need more info.

Josh
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 12:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The AMX 13/75 was bought by Israel in 1951(according to the Israeli set tsahal b'chailo). It was painted the standard dark OD until the change in color to the sand tone in the early sixties. The vehicle was again used In combat during the Six Day War of 1967. During the war its deficiencies were hard to overlook and it was pulled from service, with vehicles like the Patton and Centurion taking its place. The ss-11 missles However were mounted on halftrtacks and used in ther anti tank role With by all accounts less than stellar results. John Myska has recently done an article on this and other HT variant in military modelling. BTW the 75mm gun of the amx was a knockoff of the panther gun and would continue to serve on in the M50 sherman

For what it is worth, we shot the crap out of the AMX-13 hulks at Grafenwohr. A .50 round would go through them like a hot knife through butter. Even the death defying M-72 LAW penetrated them. It does not surprise me that the Israelis put them to pasture. Interesting about the main gun.
DJ #:-)
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 07:12 AM UTC
Just a footnote to my previous post. The Egyptians also liked the 75mm they actually fitted a number of shermans with the whole AMX turret with the designation FL-10. Both can be seen at Latrun.
Armour66
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 08:59 AM UTC
I am in the process of doing this kit. it is ok..there are a few mis fits but it can be corrected easily. when i finish it I will send some pics

_GOTOTOP