_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
sp designs BTR-T and DPM
aristeidis
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 621 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 - 03:50 AM UTC
As far as i have read both of them are for the Tamiya T-55 but which is the difference between the two conversions of SP-DESIGNS? Is it only the gun on the turret? Has anyone dealt with any of the two?
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 - 04:09 AM UTC
Almost the same basic vehicle, both protected with K-5 ERA.

Main difference is the armament: a remotely operated HMG in the DPM and a 30mm cannon in the BTR-T

Old photo walkaround in dishmodel.ru :
http://www.dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=1948&lng=E

They call it a BTR-T but I'm pretty sure its the DPM versión, no way to place the 30mm gun on that turret...
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 - 04:16 AM UTC
I built the original kit from SP Designs when it was a fullk it. Can't comment on the current conversions but the kit was not the best Sergej has produced.
His current casting techniques are far better and I guess the parts are nicer than the original and of course fit well over the Tamiya hull.
aristeidis
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 621 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 - 05:44 AM UTC
Thank you both for your replies! Same hull but different turrets! I am considering to get my hands on them but i do not know which of the two!
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 - 06:14 AM UTC
I personally prefer the DPM, but any of them are quite appealing...

grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2014 - 08:35 AM UTC
Hi Guys;

The BTRT and DPM were failed attempts to win Conversions on the many T-54,&55 that were Produced over the years, the BTRT was offered with A Vast Assortment of different OHWS.
Some time ago I Built the Real Model of the BTRT that was made by M. Hrabin and was A one piece resin upper hull casting for the Tamiya T-55, the conversion was simple and made into A Vehicle that was very different. JD mite Shed some more Lite on the SPD offerings.

CHEERS; MIKE.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 - 04:18 AM UTC
Yes, the only real difference between the 2 kits is the turret. And the casting level has improved greatly...I see I need to update the DPM scans...they are pretty old and the new castings look better than what is in pics on the webpage. The pictures for the BTR-T are much newer.

One Thing I will say...if you get the BTR-T, you will need a new 30mm barrel and muzzle break. That has always been a weak point of that particular kit.

Otherwise they are simple conversions to just drop down on the Tamiya kit. Pretty smooth.

hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 - 07:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, the only real difference between the 2 kits is the turret. And the casting level has improved greatly...I see I need to update the DPM scans...they are pretty old and the new castings look better than what is in pics on the webpage. The pictures for the BTR-T are much newer.

One Thing I will say...if you get the BTR-T, you will need a new 30mm barrel and muzzle break. That has always been a weak point of that particular kit.

Otherwise they are simple conversions to just drop down on the Tamiya kit. Pretty smooth.

IIRC the gun of that BTR-T is the same one of the BMP-2 (2A42 cannon?), RB Model used to have one.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 - 11:45 AM UTC
Yes, the BTR-T and BMP-2 (and BMPT for that matter) use the same barrel.
 _GOTOTOP