Hosted by Darren Baker
Aftermarket company for armoured window glass
rogerjo1
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 950 posts
Armorama: 905 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - 04:00 AM UTC
I assume it's not any aftermarket company that doing the Green armoured windows that are on almost alll modern veichles? Dont you think we should need a company that produce nice Clear green armoured windows....?
As now you need to paint them, and they dont use to be so good as they will never be so clear so you see the interiour after that!
I have seen on company that sells a film to put on the windows so you get the clear colour of it but it seems they never get it in stock as i have check everyday now for almost 4 months and still out of stock.... I have asked them but no answer... It's from Armor farm...

So what do you think, should we need a company that do this things?
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - 05:04 AM UTC
I recently used Alclad II Lacquer "Armored Glass" shot through an airbrush. Crystal clear green, perfectly smooth finish, adequately translucent to be able to see details in the vehicle.

Remember, if your vehicle is closed up, even with clear glazing, you will be limited to how much is visible. If the only light is coming through the windows, there will be precious little light in there, even with clear (or no) glass.

Given the vast number of windows with slightly different shapes for the same pane from different companies and the limited demand, it's pretty doubtful anyone is going to risk R&D money on this product.

If you can't find a good paint alternative, consider a translucent colored folder from an office supply store and cut the glass to the size you need using the original panes as a template.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - 09:12 AM UTC
Agree with Al, a good paint or film you can use on your own windows is a better product than specific tinted window parts.

Also concur that once you put on any tint, you are not going to see the interior terribly well.

Paul
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - 09:50 AM UTC
Uh, clear green? I assume it's out there, at least for model car builders. I use clear red and clear blue from Tamiya....
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - 09:53 AM UTC
Clear Green = one toothpick tip of food coloring + Future.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - 10:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Clear Green = one toothpick tip of food coloring + Future.

Brilliant.
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - 10:24 AM UTC
What about Tamiya Clear Green, X-25??
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - 12:50 PM UTC
I agree with Al's suggestion. Alclad's "Armored Glass" is great. I used it on a build recently and it didn't really obscure the view much at all (it certainly didn't blur it at all). The key is to spray light coats on the clear parts. Don't dump it on--just a couple of light coats will do and give you a much more realistic effect, too.

Here's what it looked like:
LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 348 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 01:34 AM UTC
Not that my models are anywhere near as good as what's posted here, but when I build a vehicle with green tinted windows, I get a nice look by sanding all the edges and running a green Sharpie over the edges. It gives a nice green tinge without making them harder to see thru.
rogerjo1
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 950 posts
Armorama: 905 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 07:22 AM UTC
Thanks for all proposals...
Chuck4
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 08:04 AM UTC
A little nit to pick. The green colored glass is not armored glass. It is optical glass with anti-reflective interference coating for some optical sensor or laser. It is the same green stuff you see on some eye glasses, or most camera lens and telescopes. Some optical glass use a blue,amber, or purple coating for the same purpose.

Straight armor glass is not green. If anything it is very slightly yellowish. But you can't see the tint by reflection. You have to look through it to notice.

skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 08:24 AM UTC
You can also just use plastic from various clear report binders. Many come with clear covers in various colors..blue, green, yellow, orange.

You can probably pick up a whole pack for less than a bottle of paint.

trakpin
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 667 posts
Armorama: 639 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 08:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Uh, clear green? I assume it's out there, at least for model car builders. I use clear red and clear blue from Tamiya....

testors has an acryl clear green. looks good on the inside of clear plastic. heavy coat not needed, just enuff to tint. they also have it red/blue
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 09:24 AM UTC
Another option is tinted acetate, acrylic or plexiglass sheets, which some art stores stock, I bought some at Modulor in Berlin, admitedly the mother of all art stores...

They had a wide variety of materials, thicknesses and colours.

Cheers,

Christophe
 _GOTOTOP