_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
First attempt at mudding.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,210 posts
Armorama: 1,712 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - 12:15 PM UTC
Like the title says, this is my first attempt at putting "mud" on a vehicle properly. I recently got some AK Interactive Fresh Mud paint and decided to use it for once. Now before you guys get your panties in a bunch, this is one of my test beds... For obvious reasons.

What do you guys think? Is it OK for a first try?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - 12:36 PM UTC
The mud on the track portion and wheels would be on the whole wheel, back, middle and front and also on the hull sides and and track guards. The amount laid on in terms of thickness looks very good. It is not easy to tell for sure but the mud looks too generalised locations wise, by this I mean placed as opposed to aquired. Nice effort and the beauty of it is you can play until you are happy which is what matters.
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - 01:58 PM UTC
Thanks. I know about the mud needing to be on the entire surface: front, back, sides, top and bottom. I wasn't trying to convey the entire area as I was just trying to practice it. And I do think you're right about generalization. Any idea on how I could remedy this? Also how can I get the plaster to stay pliable longer? It lasts for only a few minutes. Even if I get get it to last a minute or two longer that's still a minute or two more that I have to apply it.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - 02:53 PM UTC
Sorry Mike when it comes to working time I know of no way to extend it, all I can suggest is mix less at a time, but mix the plaster and the pigment in one go. that way when the mud is added over several mixes the colours will match.

As regards the generalization, basically the higher up the vehicle you go the less of the mud there is in both thickness and quantity. so heavy at the bottom and blobs at the top.
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - 08:00 PM UTC
Mike like you i am kinda new to mudding a tank ...one thing i have learned tho is that i use AK Interactive paints for the mud's colour and i can have more than ten minutes to play with it ..it really depends on the amount of plaster you add..the more you add the faster it will dry since the plaster is working exactly the same with the paint as it does with water..try building it up ..thin the mud out more with the paint ..well take alot longer to dry..then add more as you go ..i tried it this way and it works great

Cheers

Phill
MikeyBugs95
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 05:14 AM UTC
Thanks guys.

CMOT:I definitely will do that

Phil: thanks for the info. I'll also try that.
stoney
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 480 posts
Armorama: 399 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 06:02 AM UTC
Hi Michael, looks good.
So a few ideas to try, I like to use an old toothbrush (or very stiff bristle brush) to flick mud onto an area, gives it a decent splatter. You can also load a brush up and blast it with an airbrush to get a similar effect with a bit more control. Try varying the tone, wet mud will be darker, and you can play with gloss/satin clear coat after to give it a wet shine. Some mix in bits of static grass to create a turf look as well.
Keep at it!
 _GOTOTOP