_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Zvezda Tiger 1 wheel masks
darthbode
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 - 09:01 AM UTC
I am getting ready to assemble 2 Zvezda Early Tiger 1s. Do any of you know of wheel masks that would fit this tank? I have looked for model specific and, so far, no luck. Thanks so much!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 12:34 PM UTC
You could brush some white glue over the painted tires. Paint the hub, then gently lift the glue off. Just make sure you let the paint cure, prior to applying the glue.
darthbode
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 01:23 PM UTC
That sounds like a great idea! I have often wondered about "masks" that can peel off. Thank you!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 01:31 PM UTC
You could pick up a decent circle template from a drafting store.Reusable with a lot of different size holes for different projects.
darthbode
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 01:45 PM UTC
Thank you!
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2014 - 02:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That sounds like a great idea! I have often wondered about "masks" that can peel off. Thank you!

Latex rubber masking solution is available at most hobby shops. It's used most often to mask aircraft canopies. If you paint it on and leave a wobbly edge, it can be trimmed with a fresh X-acto blade and the excess removed before painting.
It will protect whatever you want unpainted, and just rubs off with a fingertip when the paint is dry. Humbrol makes it, among others.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2014 - 02:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Latex rubber masking solution is available at most hobby shops. It's used most often to mask aircraft canopies. If you paint it on and leave a wobbly edge, it can be trimmed with a fresh X-acto blade and the excess removed before painting.
It will protect whatever you want unpainted, and just rubs off with a fingertip when the paint is dry. Humbrol makes it, among others.

I find white glue much easiet to work with. And, the dry time is minimal.
 _GOTOTOP