_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Headlight from Panther
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 03:17 AM UTC
Hello guys

I'm searching for a picture of the detail from the electrical cable of the headlight from a Panther G. I hope somebody can help me.

pzgren

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 04:41 PM UTC
Place yourself in the driver's seat looking forward. There is a socket at the bottom right hand side of the headlight bracket, flush with the mudguard/ fender. The electrical cable, in a protected piping, extends to the extreme right edge of the fender, then turns at right angles rearwards along the edge of the fender to where the fender meets the glacis. Now here is where the pictures are not clear. Either the cable enters through a small hole in the glacis at this point, or it makes a sharp downwards turn through a hole in the fender ( at this same point) and enters the tank through a hole in the side somewhere above and a little behind the drive sprocket. I'm inclined to go with the latter possibility. My resources are a Panther G at Bovington in 'Panther in Action' by Squadron, and 'Panther' by Concord. On the cover of the Squadron publication is an artwork of Panther G with the cable clearly disappearing into the top surface of the glacis following a straight line after exiting the light bracket, but I haven't seen any photos to re-inforce this illustration. I hope my description helps you and is not confusing.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 04:53 PM UTC
As an addendum to my last reply, I examined VERY closely and there seems to be a slight curvature at the end of the cable where it disappears, which suggests that it does, indeed, turn downwards under the glacis.
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 04:12 AM UTC
Hello Biggles2

Thanks a lot for your description. I was last summer in the museum in Bovington and I took a lot of pics. Also from the Panther, but not the details from the headlight. So I try to built it with your description.

pzgren
 _GOTOTOP