_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
T-34/85 Finnish- turret type?
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 11:38 AM UTC
I have been trying to educate myself on the different T-34/85 turret types, as I want to build a captured one in Finnish markings. Looking at http://www.andreaslarka.net/ the turrets here seem to be the 1944 Factory 183 (step-jointed flattened turret)...except they don't seem to have the vertical fillets. Are they painted over or what? A couple close ups from a couple different tanks:
http://www.andreaslarka.net/ps245003/2004_24500314.jpg
http://www.andreaslarka.net/ps245002/24500231.jpg
http://www.andreaslarka.net/ps245004/24500407.jpg

Any suggestions? Do I have the wrong turret or are the fillets not always present?
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 12:01 PM UTC
Anything Russian in Finnish use seems to leave more questions than answers I find. Are these of any help?

http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/russia/rpt34/rpt34.htm
http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/t3485bg_2.html#Table%201:%20Turret%20Identifying%20Features

Kimmo
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 12:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Anything Russian in Finnish use seems to leave more questions than answers I find. Are these of any help?

http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/russia/rpt34/rpt34.htm
http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/t3485bg_2.html#Table%201:%20Turret%20Identifying%20Features

Kimmo

Thanks- that does help some. From what I see, its the Fatory 183 turret but it is missing those vertical casting fillets. All the other details seem to match up. Thanks again
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 06:54 PM UTC
I'm a little confused. If you are referring to the rectangular mold joints at the front of the turret sides just above the horizontal seam, they are present in the photos you linked to. These are not weld joints, just joints where the sand molds came together, and they varied from casting to casting. In some cases, they might be cleaned up a bit with a grinder if time allowed (though usually not on wartime production). If you mean the rectangular bulge aft of that area on the left side only, that appeared in late 1944. The cupola was also relocated slightly forward and outboard at that time.
Wierdy
Visit this Community
Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 570 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 07:38 PM UTC
Hey Jason !
Here is the walkaround of the vehicle you want to model in its current state:
http://legion-afv.narod.ru/T-34-85_Parola_2.html (all images clickable)
It is a Factory 183 vehicle with 2 types of road wheels.The Finnish had at least 7 tanks of the type captured and in service during the conflict.
The linked one is authentically painted in accordance to the period photos and evidences, but...you will need a mantlet with wider cheeks around the gun, an earlier type for S-53 gun (CMK produces one, but I've got no experience with their products). The biggest problem is about tracks. In Russian sources they are nicknamed 'Parola type' because of their rarity and are not produced by any manufacturer as of yet.

HTH, Paul
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 02:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm a little confused. If you are referring to the rectangular mold joints at the front of the turret sides just above the horizontal seam, they are present in the photos you linked to. These are not weld joints, just joints where the sand molds came together, and they varied from casting to casting. In some cases, they might be cleaned up a bit with a grinder if time allowed (though usually not on wartime production). If you mean the rectangular bulge aft of that area on the left side only, that appeared in late 1944. The cupola was also relocated slightly forward and outboard at that time.

No, what I was referring to are the small vertical lines. They make the cast seam look like a scar or train tracks. This is what I what I was using to identify the turrets- there is a comparison drawing about a quarter of the way down http://www.onthewaymodels.com/articles/T-34-85turrets/Identification.htm
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 02:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Jason !
Here is the walkaround of the vehicle you want to model in its current state:
http://legion-afv.narod.ru/T-34-85_Parola_2.html (all images clickable)
It is a Factory 183 vehicle with 2 types of road wheels.The Finnish had at least 7 tanks of the type captured and in service during the conflict.
The linked one is authentically painted in accordance to the period photos and evidences, but...you will need a mantlet with wider cheeks around the gun, an earlier type for S-53 gun (CMK produces one, but I've got no experience with their products). The biggest problem is about tracks. In Russian sources they are nicknamed 'Parola type' because of their rarity and are not produced by any manufacturer as of yet.

HTH, Paul

Thank you Paul- I didn't know about the tracks or the mantlet.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 07:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

No, what I was referring to are the small vertical lines. They make the cast seam look like a scar or train tracks. This is what I what I was using to identify the turrets- there is a comparison drawing about a quarter of the way down http://www.onthewaymodels.com/articles/T-34-85turrets/Identification.htm

Ah, the vertical striations. As I understand it, casting molds are made of tightly packed sand, supported by a wire structure. If the sand begins to crumble away from the wire supports, small striations can appear. These were production mistakes, not intentional parts of the turret design, and do not appear on all castings. You can add or delete them to match a particular tank easily enough.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 04:34 AM UTC
Thank you!
MCR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 09:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ah, the vertical striations. As I understand it, casting molds are made of tightly packed sand, supported by a wire structure. If the sand begins to crumble away from the wire supports, small striations can appear. These were production mistakes, not intentional parts of the turret design, and do not appear on all castings. You can add or delete them to match a particular tank easily enough.

Not quite - Those vertical fillets (not sure what else to call them) are very intentional. They were added to the sand mould in order to reduce the chance of voids forming while the molten steel was being poured. If you look closely, they aren't random but placed in areas where there are undercuts (the "neck" of the turret ring and the bulge on those later T-34-85 UTZ turrets though they're very common on -76 turrets as well).
They were however hand placed it appears and vary a bit in size and placement though comparing "apples to apples" (turrets of the same factory/time frame/type) you will notice that generally you will see about the same number of fillets with about the same spacing.
As far as I know (and it's something I studied at least a little) there was no wire frame but rather reinforced steel "flasks" that held the sand mould.
It's interesting stuff on its own and I hope this helped at least a little to further your understanding of these turrets and how they were made.
(PS: I hope we're talking about the same thing! )
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 12:45 PM UTC
So are they present on all Zavod 183 turrets? Or just some?
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 01:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Not quite - Those vertical fillets (not sure what else to call them) are very intentional. They were added to the sand mould in order to reduce the chance of voids forming while the molten steel was being poured. If you look closely, they aren't random but placed in areas where there are undercuts (the "neck" of the turret ring and the bulge on those later T-34-85 UTZ turrets though they're very common on -76 turrets as well).
They were however hand placed it appears and vary a bit in size and placement though comparing "apples to apples" (turrets of the same factory/time frame/type) you will notice that generally you will see about the same number of fillets with about the same spacing.
As far as I know (and it's something I studied at least a little) there was no wire frame but rather reinforced steel "flasks" that held the sand mould.
It's interesting stuff on its own and I hope this helped at least a little to further your understanding of these turrets and how they were made.
(PS: I hope we're talking about the same thing! )

Okeydoke, never having worked in a steel foundry, I can only quote other authors. But whether deliberate "just in case" additions to smooth the pour, or deterioration of the sand mold, the result is the same--some tanks had the striations, some did not, and some only had a few, so the original suggestion remains--match your kit parts to the tank you're modeling using available photos.
I think the original concern was whether Dragon's kit variant matches the Finnish museum vehicles at all, and it does--they appear to be classic "flattened" pattern turrets, as installed at Factory 183, and all of Dragon's T-34-85 kits released to date have been Factory 183 tanks, regardless of the box top label.
The Soviet Army used the tanks indiscriminately, and there is no particular significance to the Finnish museum tanks being Factory 183 types--they could just as easily have been Factory 174 or Factory 112 types.
Factory 174 turrets are much wider at the base, overhanging the mudguards by a wide margin (and there were variations there, too--the exact width varied considerably, but whether this was a change made at a particular time, or just a variation between different foundries is unclear). AFV Club offers a Factory 174 kit.
Factory 112 turrets have a blunter rear end that rides much closer to the top of the engine deck, and a longer welded roof panel.
Both of these late turret shells could also be seen with two separate ventilators mounted fore and aft on the turret instead of the twin configuration seen earlier. This experiment didn't last long, and turns up in photos of a few parade tanks just after the war ends (RPM/Maquette's turret depicts a Factory 112 turret shell with the separate ventilators, but it need some corrections to be accurate). At least one was destroyed in Korea in 1950.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 02:17 PM UTC
Thanks again!!
MCR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 - 02:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So are they present on all Zavod 183 turrets? Or just some?

I'm no expert on the -85 (the -76 is more my "thing") but from photos they are not universal, see that great collection from Parola as an example of the flat sided turret without them.
I seem to recall seeing UTZ tanks with both types but that late in the war only T-34s from Factory 112 are easy for me to differentiate from others.
There are a number of T-34-85 aficionados out there who could no doubt point to the small details that ID where a tank was built.

I wonder if the difference is that they come from two manufacturers or shops - The same formers but different casting equipment. Something on that order?

BTW, sand moulds don't deteriorate; they're one use only. Once the liquid steel cools they're busted up in order to reveal the raw casting.

Mark

_GOTOTOP