_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
"The Gamblers" guntruck
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 07:02 AM UTC
Animal's and Gunnie's recent and inspiring contributions have given me the impetus I just needed to put my OIF projects on the back burner for a while (it will prevent an overdose of CIPs and Desert sand paint ) and go back to a project that is close to my heart because it's the one that has introduced me to Armorama : an early M35A1-based Guntruck called "The Gamblers". But the more I look at the only picture I have found of this truck (in T.J. Kutta's book "Gun Trucks" ) the more I have questions about it :
The right side mount for the M60 seems to be out of line with the left one (a bit like the gun ports in a B-17) : am I right ?
The front gun ring for the .50 MG is a bit strange too, with the tubular bracket just behind the right corner of the cab pivoted to the right...
Any clearing up would be gladly accepted (I have lost all hope of finding other pics of this truck... )
TIA
BTW : Happy New Year to the Armorama community !

Frenchy
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 07:29 AM UTC
This is the only photo that I have seen of this early Gun Truck. It is one of the first trucks armored up. The mounts could be offset. Theses trucks were built by the mechanics and drivers who crewed them. They used any material that was on hand to armor them up. As far as machine gun mounts, we used to use steel pipe (water) to make the mounts. It was a pipe in a pipe set up. If we could get our hands on the sixty mount off the back of the jeeps we would use them also. On the early version the side rails were left in place and the 1/2 steel boiler plate was bolted to the outside of the cargo bed. It was crude to say the least but it was all we had to work with. The future trucks had better material to build them with.If you can find some more photos of the early trucks from 1966 to 1968 you will see more of how they were slapped together back then. Go to my gallery and look thru the photos I have posted on the gun trucks of vietnam 1 and 2. I might have some more posted of the early trucks.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 07:30 AM UTC
Howdy Frenchy,

Unfortunately I haven't secured a copy of the newest GunTruck book 'The Hard Ride', but you might want to try to pick up a copy, since I hear their are many more pics in it than the Kutta book.
I'm sure either Gunnie or animal can clear it up!

Tread.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 10:18 PM UTC
Thanks to you both for your replies. Animal's pics are really worth a look and even if they don't answer my questions, they give many alternative project ideas !
Treadhead : I must shamefully admit that I still have not bought "The Hard Ride". Maybe I should have started by getting it !

Frenchy
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 03:09 AM UTC
The Hard Ride is a fantastic book. It is by my good friend . you can e-mail him at [email protected] The second book should be out soon.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 04:23 AM UTC

hmmmm, speak about shameful. I still haven't gotten a copy of "the Hard Ride" either, and now animal tells us the second volume is due out soon...............geeez, and I call myself a GunTruck enthusiast!!

Tread.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 06:01 AM UTC
I've been told that a sin confessed is a sin half pardonned but in order to be sure I've just sent an e-mail to James Lyles

Frenchy

_GOTOTOP