_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
MMK: Two Springers plus Grizly
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 01:54 AM UTC

News from MMK has two news kits of the EPS Springer with one including a Grizly ATV.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 06:00 AM UTC
That's nice that companies are finally beginning to produce the "Dune Buggy FAV." But isn't it a moot point since the EPS Springer is no longer in UK service? I read it got a bad reputation for lack of performance and maintenance issues (then again, so did the SEAL DPV) and wasn't really used. Anyone know if this is true or not?

There are more photos on the MMK website.

Also, I believe someone posted that the EPS Springer isn't UK Special Forces, but is for regular UK Army troops and acts as a logistics vehicle similar to the U.S. Army's M-Gator. As such, an armed EPS Springer is just a fire-support logistics vehicle and not a fast attack fighting vehicle. Anyone know enough to comment?
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2014 - 06:49 AM UTC
Good article on the EPS Springer and its woes here.

http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2012/02/springer-when-uors-go-bad

Still, it looks like a pretty neat little kit.
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 263 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 - 10:21 AM UTC
Yes I'm with Pete on this. The EPS Springer was flawed from the start an error at the design stage saw them arrive on an UOR and disappear almost as quickly. The Grizzly ATV is being used by the British Army, the earlier Polaris ATV was retired as it was petrol. The earlier version was operated by the UKSF the later Grizzly is likely to have been used. Given that the MOD will always issue from 'No Comment' on current vehicles used by UKSF it is always a guess.

The Springer had a service life of 2 years, on the plus side you can buy your own. The military found they had issues with the steering..... buyer beware!

I too was surprised to see this vehicle kitted by MMK, but if you want a vehicle as used by the British Army then it joins a growing stable of modern UK models.
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - 05:19 AM UTC
Great ! These vehicles have a very nice look.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - 06:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great ! These vehicles have a very nice look.

I agree. The EPS Springer could make for a nice Sci-Fi FAV with some modifications and is surely more heavily armed than the HobbyFan FAV dune buggy for such a Sci-Fi FAV role.
 _GOTOTOP